Where IS this frigging email ?

Started by Techno, 14 June 2020, 08:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Why does my gmail a/c insist on telling me that there's always ONE unread email, every time I log in ?

I can't find the wretched thing. 8-}

I've even been through every single folder this morning to see if I've secreted an email in any of those.
(I would have to admit that I'm absolutely terrific at hiding things in sub-folders and then losing them ! :-[.....The number of times I've contacted Leon, saying, "I know you've sent me "X"....but I can't find it......Can you send me it again ?"

Does anyone else have a spurious 'mail in the inbox, that doesn't seem to be there ?
If I DO get a couple of proper mails coming in....The inbox total will show that there are 3 unread messages....When I've read/opened the (genuine) new messages, it'll go back to telling me there's still one unread message.

Cheers - Baffled of Wales. :-\

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I get -1 when I open the last one sometimes. Have you got multiple folders Phil ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Use the filter to show all unread?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Is there a mark all read option? This can be a useful way to tidy up these phantom mails.

In gmail folders are really just filters or flags. There is an all mail folder, which could be a good one to choose to look for a stray mail.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mollinary

My hotmail account shows a phantom e mail on my pc, but not on my iPad. Go figure!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 14 June 2020, 09:11:30 AM
I get -1 when I open the last one sometimes. Have you got multiple folders Phil ?

Hi, Ian

Apart from the usual....Inbox/Starred/Snoozed/Sent/Drafts/Spam/ and Bin..I've got 12 other folders, including one for Pendraken, as you might imagine.
I've been through the whole lot...and can't find an 'unopened' one anywhere.

I ordered a prescription this morning, got an automated message back from the Doc's.....Inbox then showed 2 unread....Opened the one from the Doc's...and it still shows 1 unread. :-\

Quote from: mad lemmey on 14 June 2020, 09:37:29 AM
Use the filter to show all unread?

That's an idea, Will...Once I suss out how to do that.

Quote from: mollinary on 14 June 2020, 11:46:44 AM
My hotmail account shows a phantom e mail on my pc, but not on my iPad. Go figure!

Not just me and gmail, then !

Interestingly.....I don't think my fire tablet is showing any unread.

Gibber, gibber....

Cheers - Phil.

Phil - to confuse you I run Gmail via yahoo, but there is a button on the gmail folder which says all email, looked in there and found items going back to 2009 ! Try that one. THe question about folders - you can set gmail up with 3 inboxes, main, social and promotions (I think not looked in years) check and see if yours is like that .

Mr Lewis wanders of in dazed and confused state whistleing  Deep Purple

mmcv

In the search bar at the top of the Gmail page where it says search emails type:

label:unread

That should then filter to just the unread.

(If you just type unread it'll prompt with the above too)

fsn

Quote from: ianrs54 on 15 June 2020, 08:16:56 AM
Mr Lewis wanders of in dazed and confused state whistleing  Deep Purple

It is a little known fact that Mr Lewis is in fact a noted* trombonist. You remember the Lurpack adverts with a trombonist made of butter playing the "Flight of the Bumble Bee" by Rimsjky-Korsakov? Well, so does Mr Lewis. He is often seen wandering the hills around his locality (hopelessly lost of course) playing mournful renditions of Rick Wakeman solos on his trombone, a rag tag group of confused but somewhat aroused geese trailing in his wake. His trombone is the talk of then locals, with many suggestions of where it should shoved. "Poor Von", says our slide puller, "gets so emotional when I play. Tears fill her eyes and she is visibly moved. Usually about 400 yards." Mr Lewis is currently working on his trombone masterpiece - a medley of some of the lesser known tunes of ABBA starting with "Don't Shut Me Down" progressing through "Under Attack" through "Should I Laugh or Cry" and ending with  "On and On and On". Peter Moore, principle trombonist ofthe London Sympohy Orchestra said of Mr Lewis "who?"

* "Noted", not "good".
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 15 June 2020, 08:16:56 AM
Phil - to confuse you I run Gmail via yahoo, but there is a button on the gmail folder which says all email, looked in there and found items going back to 2009 ! Try that one. THe question about folders - you can set gmail up with 3 inboxes, main, social and promotions (I think not looked in years) check and see if yours is like that .Mr Lewis wanders of in dazed and confused state whistleing  Deep Purple

I followed that perfectly to to "Phil -"....and I was whistling Led Zep.!  ;)

Quote from: mmcv on 15 June 2020, 08:43:07 AM
In the search bar at the top of the Gmail page where it says search emails type:
label:unread
That should then filter to just the unread.
(If you just type unread it'll prompt with the above too)

Thanks, M :-bd.....Found the little sod......But I still don't know WHERE it was actually hiding. 8-}

Nobby.....You're an OIK !  ;)

Cheers - Phil

mmcv

It should generally say in the label beside the email, e.g. [Inbox], [Pendraken] - it's usually at the start of the subject line. That'll tell you what folder it's in (if any). If there's nothing beside it then it's likely just been archived without any folder organisation. So it would just be sitting in "All Mail" which I don't think shows an "unread" count number beside it. 

fsn

Quote from: Techno on 15 June 2020, 04:41:27 PM
Nobby.....You're an OIK !  ;)

I wear it as a badge of pride!   :D
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: mmcv on 15 June 2020, 05:16:43 PM
"All Mail" which I don't think shows an "unread" count number beside it. 

That could well be it, M.....Thanks ! :)

Quote from: fsn on 15 June 2020, 05:19:16 PM
I wear it as a badge of pride!   :D

I know you do, Nobby   ;D ;D.......I rate my trombone playing as being as good as Harry Hill's 'saxophone solo' (played on trombone) from 'Baker Street'....... in the 'Pick Up Song' game, from an episode of 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue'....Priceless !  :)

Cheers - Phil.  :)