What are your flag attaching techniques?

Started by mmcv, 06 June 2020, 09:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sultanbev

In my 15mm and 28mm I use sticky address labels cut and folded round the flag pole, then paint the flag when I'm painting the figure.
Haven't tried the pre-printed 10mm flags yet....

Mark

Orcs

Quote from: paulr on 06 June 2020, 11:14:15 PM
I use a very similar approach to Pierre the Shy but like Fred I glue all the flag in one go but don't dilute my PVA

The keys are to fold the flag first and use a very thin smear of PVA on both sides

One interesting thing I learnt during my Hundred Years War banner research was that they used battens and other stiffening techniques to ensure the banner 'flew' square rather than flapping in the breeze

Fortunately I found that out before I had applied any banners #:-S

If I have suggested to anyone in the past that they should add a bit of movement to their medieval flags, my apologies :-[
That bit about the battens is worth remembering
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Last Hussar

MMCV - I put a little blob on one side, then wet a finger and spread it around....

Can somebody slap Orcs on the back - I think he's swallowed his tongue...
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

hammurabi70

Quote from: Orcs on 06 June 2020, 11:43:29 PM
That bit about the battens is worth remembering

Is that a batten used as an insert in the flag as with a sail or as a crossbar from which the flag is being hung?

paulr

I believe an insert as with a sail.

I first came across this when looking at the background to the Perry's Agincourt diorama 
QuoteAs you can see the banners are all shown stiff, not fluttering. During this period banners (as opposed to standards) were silk stiffened with buckram (a treated linen/canvas) in the middle, like a sandwich, or had a wooden baton along the top edge so they didn't 'fly'.
https://royalarmouries.org/stories/behind-the-scenes/agincourt-battle-formation/

I've come across a couple of other similar observations
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

I didn't know that about the banners, that's really interesting!

FierceKitty

Thanks - new to me too. Do you know the start and end dates?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

I've seen references to stiffened banners in both the 14th and 15th century but no specifics
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

John Cook

Quote from: sultanbev on 06 June 2020, 11:36:11 PM
In my 15mm and 28mm I use sticky address labels cut and folded round the flag pole, then paint the flag when I'm painting the figure.
Haven't tried the pre-printed 10mm flags yet....

Mark

I hadn't thought of that.  I'll try printing my flags onto a sticky label next time.  I doubt I'd ever want to paint my own though and I just wonder how easy it will be with sticky labels, with PVA you can slide the two side into place if you don't get it quite right first time.

John Cook

Quote from: Last Hussar on 07 June 2020, 12:03:58 AM
MMCV - I put a little blob on one side, then wet a finger and spread it around....

Can somebody slap Orcs on the back - I think he's swallowed his tongue...

Similar to what I do, except I apply the PVA with a brush.  It is easy to remove any excess.  I don't thin it, it is not necessary and it makes the paper too wet and difficult to handle. 

Orcs

Quote from: John Cook on 07 June 2020, 01:03:56 PM
I hadn't thought of that.  I'll try printing my flags onto a sticky label next time.  I doubt I'd ever want to paint my own though and I just wonder how easy it will be with sticky labels, with PVA you can slide the two side into place if you don't get it quite right first time.

No life is too short and my painting skills not really up to it.  I try and avoid cast on flags where I can.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson