Command overrun: a query

Started by henjed, 02 June 2020, 11:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

Quote from: fsn on 02 June 2020, 04:14:06 PM
I likes me some A13's (and A9's and a10's), but I'm more of an Infantry tank man myself. More comfortable with a Matilda II or a Valentine.

Does this also tie in with your choice of women?   You prefer something dependable with curves , rather than something that is fast and unreliable? ;D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fsn

Definitely. Slow and steady.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

henjed

Orcs &Techno, hi!

On the gamut of tanks I'll have to run for the desert war, I'm conscious that while I'm not going tank heavy in my games (mixed forces are more fun even though coordination has never been my strong point) any extras I have to buy to be historically accurate will be to Pendraken's gain (frankly, the Italians are straight-forward - but clearly the range on the Brit side is more of a challenge).

No plans for any DAK forces (and armour) yet... but it's early days...

Still trying to find a use for my L3s... :-/

fsn

L3's are good for ... well they're great at ... um ... well ...

... attracting AT fire?

I try and use mine in a swarming attack, preferably against infantry.

And they're cute.  :)

(You could sneak a flamethrower version in for added impact.)
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

henjed

I have sneaked in a flamethrower version, just for the giggles.

They're so small I'm half tempted to say that they could be transported in trucks and then suddenly let loose on a nearby enemy!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

They were transported on Lorries, as were Pnz 1 and II
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

henjed

I'm now three-quarters tempted!  :D

Search the interweb for piccies, there is certainly one of IID's being offloaded in Poland?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

03 June 2020, 01:57:36 PM #23 Last Edit: 03 June 2020, 01:59:14 PM by Big Insect
OK ... having been through BKCII, CWC and FWC and back through my notes around the BCKIV rewrite, it was clearly my intention that Command units were to have CA values and should be able to defend themselves. However, this is not the same mechanism as an assault.

A Command unit engaged in a Command Overrun situation will fight back using an unmodified CA roll - treating the attacker unit as being in the open.
The Command unit will roll saving throws against all hits it receives. It is also subject to Suppression roles as well.
NB: Only one enemy unit may attempt a Command Overrun at a time. But multiple enemy units may not attempt command overruns on the same enemy commander in the the same turn.

Outcomes
If the Command unit survives the enemy overrun, and its opponent is still in-play (not Knocked-out) - it will react by recoiling 10cm for each unsaved hit it receives directly away from the direction of the attack from the enemy unit over-running it. It moves these multiples of 10cm even if it is suppressed. If the Command unit is driven off-table or into terrain it cannot move in, or into impenetrable terrain by these fall back moves it is considered destroyed.
If the Command unit survives the enemy overrun attempt, and its opponent is Knocked-out - it remains in position. It will still dice to save hits and will dice for suppression as normal, but will not fall-back.

I think that pretty much covers things. This was intended to be included in BCKIV but somehow I omitted to put it into the final edit.
I'll ensure that this goes into the next Errata PDF.

Hope that clarifies things?
Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

henjed

Thanks, Mark - that does indeed clarify the main point.

Could the same unit contact the Command unit in the initiative phase and then, having failed to score any Hits (a troop of Matildas, for God's sake!), be ordered in again later in the turn? I thought not, when this happened to me on Monday, even though the chances of a successful order being given were of course reduced...

henjed

Sorry, and one further clarification: the Command Overrun mechanism replaces the assault mechanism when one of the two units involved (always the stationary unit) involved is a Command Unit?  That seems to make sense to me.

Big Insect

Quote from: henjed on 03 June 2020, 02:39:31 PM
Thanks, Mark - that does indeed clarify the main point.

Could the same unit contact the Command unit in the initiative phase and then, having failed to score any Hits (a troop of Matildas, for God's sake!), be ordered in again later in the turn? I thought not, when this happened to me on Monday, even though the chances of a successful order being given were of course reduced...

As the Initiative move (not an assault - see below) is not a Commanded action, then yes, if the unit subsequently receives a successful Command order it can attempt the over-run again that turn.

As you state - a Command Overrun is not an Assault - so it doesn't use the assault mechanisms.

Glad you are enjoying the rules.
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.