Standard of wargame figure painting 50 years ago

Started by Sunray, 01 June 2020, 12:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Techno on 03 June 2020, 05:17:56 PM
Late mid sixties ?   1968 ? :-

Cheers - Phil.

Best answer!

It would have to have been between June 1968 and January 1969. Can't see it being at XMAS as who ever gets married at XMAS.

It was in the upstairs room of the Buccleuch Arms, quite a big room, certainly as large as the public bar and lounge bar downstairs.

It was demolished recently to make way for even more student accommodation.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Steve J

QuoteNot forgetting there was a whole culture of conversions. Cut a figure at the waist with a razor blade, (no craft knives in those days) , stick his top on a cavalrymans's bottom. Use drawing pins for shields, needles for lances. How to do articles in Airfix Magazine. I miss the innocence of it all sometimes.

I loved those articles in the magazine and have many fond memories of one day hoping to be able to do the conversions as shown. Sadly I never was able to get around to any of them, other than our own home grown hapless attempts.

Scorpio_Rocks

Quote from: grahambeyrout on 04 June 2020, 10:46:59 AMUse drawing pins for shields, needles for lances. How to do articles in Airfix Magazine. I miss the innocence of it all sometimes.

I remember drawing pin shields, and a painful "pike block" injury from needle spears...
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

Raider4

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 04 June 2020, 11:35:38 AM
It would have to have been between June 1968 and January 1969. Can't see it being at XMAS as who ever gets married at XMAS.

My parents got married 21st December. A colleague at work has his anniversary on the 22nd.

Sunray

Quote from: grahambeyrout on 04 June 2020, 10:46:59 AM
Not forgetting there was a whole culture of conversions. Cut a figure at the waist with a razor blade, (no craft knives in those days) , stick his top on a cavalrymans's bottom. Use drawing pins for shields, needles for lances. How to do articles in Airfix Magazine. I miss the innocence of it all sometimes.

I ended up (circa 1968) with an Airfix  "Japanese " army.   Not popular, but some really good sculpts for the mid 1960s.   I used WW1 British for HMG and mortars, ROCO T34 tanks, German A/Cs, 105 howitzers,  Airfix 6pds.  The Minitanks range was light on early WW2 models.
And yes, the figures running with rifle aloft were converted to cavalry.  I used US Cavalry - gluing the horses to bases was a challenge. 

John Cook

Quote from: grahambeyrout on 04 June 2020, 10:46:59 AM
Not forgetting there was a whole culture of conversions. Cut a figure at the waist with a razor blade, (no craft knives in those days) , stick his top on a cavalrymans's bottom. Use drawing pins for shields, needles for lances. How to do articles in Airfix Magazine. I miss the innocence of it all sometimes.

In my loft there are about 15 years worth of Airfix magazines starting in the early 1960s.  When I'm up there I often get side tracked and have a look at them.  I haven't got the heart to chuck them out. 

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Raider4 on 04 June 2020, 01:17:40 PM
My parents got married 21st December. A colleague at work has his anniversary on the 22nd.

I stand corrected.

Steve J

QuoteI haven't got the heart to chuck them out. 

I wish I'd kept my Dad's copies from the late '60's and early '70's as they had some great info and are full of nostalgia. They are available on Ebay but often at silly prices.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

jimduncanuk

Orcs

Quote from: fsn on 02 June 2020, 01:38:43 PM
Gentlemen, at this point I think it is obligatory to mention Plasticine and banana oil.

I think you need to keep your personal fetishes to yourself Nobby. :D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson