Standard of wargame figure painting 50 years ago

Started by Sunray, 01 June 2020, 12:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: fsn on 01 June 2020, 04:52:32 PM
They would have been painted in oils wouldn't they? Never tried that myself but will happily tilt my shako to anyone who has.

There was always an old-timer at the club who'd swear by "oils for painting your horse models".

The closest I got were some leftover browns fomr Grandparents painting by numbers sets.
Took several days to dry, so the horses sported a quite prominent "fingerprint" finish.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Ithoriel on 02 June 2020, 01:41:23 PM
... and spears made from iron (not steel) pins with heads hammered flat and shaped to a lethal point?

Iron, we 'ad t' make do wi' stretched sprue!

Last Hussar

I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Ithoriel

Quote from: Last Hussar on 02 June 2020, 06:20:48 PM
What's a 2/-?

Yours, Gen X

It's the Two Bob emoji ... doesn't your phone have that one? :-)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Ithoriel on 02 June 2020, 06:34:36 PM

My phone might have emoji's too but I would never dare use one :)
My Ego forbids a signature.

mmcv

Quote from: Ithoriel on 02 June 2020, 06:34:36 PM

What's The Two Bob? A old comedy duo?

Yours,

Gen Y/Pesky Millennial

Sunray

Quote from: mmcv on 02 June 2020, 07:26:30 PM
What's The Two Bob? A old comedy duo?

Yours,

Gen Y/Pesky Millennial

Bob was slang for one shilling (5p). Funny enough it was never spoken in the plural.  10 shillings was 10 bob, On price tickets 10/=
The 10 Bob note was our smallest Bank of England paper currency.  It was retained in the Isle of Mann for many years.

jimduncanuk

Here's a very old story (true). It will show a bit about inflation.

When I first started work (just out of school) there was a stag party for one of the guys. I went to it and the kitty was 10 Bob.

I got hauled into the bosses office the following Monday morning asking if I was in the pub last Friday. Yes I said ( I knew I had been drunk but didn't think I had done anything wrong). Did you forget anything he said, no I said, here's your change from the kitty - 2 Bob.

Can anyone guess what year that was?

My Ego forbids a signature.

Techno

Late mid sixties ?   1968 ? :-\

Cheers - Phil.

fsn

Sorry? Change from a kitty? At a stag do?

Definitely not a rugby club involved.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Quote from: fsn on 03 June 2020, 05:23:12 PM
Sorry? Change from a kitty? At a stag do?

Definitely not a rugby club involved.

Nor any Miner's Club stag do I attended in the early 70's
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Last Hussar

I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Sunray

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 03 June 2020, 05:04:12 PM
Here's a very old story (true). It will show a bit about inflation.

When I first started work (just out of school) there was a stag party for one of the guys. I went to it and the kitty was 10 Bob.

I got hauled into the bosses office the following Monday morning asking if I was in the pub last Friday. Yes I said ( I knew I had been drunk but didn't think I had done anything wrong). Did you forget anything he said, no I said, here's your change from the kitty - 2 Bob.

Can anyone guess what year that was?

How many drinkers in the stag party?  In 1966 a pint of bitter was around 1/10d (12d in 1s)
In 1959/60 it was on average  One pint for a bob.  8 shillings = 8 pints.
Mild beer was around 8d a pint.  Beer tended to be cheaper in areas of mining or heavy industry.

Techno

Quote from: Last Hussar on 03 June 2020, 06:42:06 PM
1932?

Oooooh !.....That's so mean..... ;D ;D ;D.

If Jim was in the hostelry at one day old...and had started his first job, at the same time..........

Cheers - Phil ;)

grahambeyrout

Not forgetting there was a whole culture of conversions. Cut a figure at the waist with a razor blade, (no craft knives in those days) , stick his top on a cavalrymans's bottom. Use drawing pins for shields, needles for lances. How to do articles in Airfix Magazine. I miss the innocence of it all sometimes.