Standard of wargame figure painting 50 years ago

Started by Sunray, 01 June 2020, 12:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

I am reading Grant's book "Battle" (1970), and I have to say I am blown away by the standard of painting on the cheap soft plastic Airfix HO&OO figures.

You have to bear in mind that in that era, the figures were regarded as "toys" and both hands and faces were "blobs".
Even "chin straps" on helmets are represented .  :o

Steve J

I think having more time to devote to probably just one or two armies allowed this attention to detail to occur. Nowadays we all seem to have quite a few/many armies and other distractions in our daily lives; I know I do.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Sunray on 01 June 2020, 12:00:56 PM
I am reading Grant's book "Battle" (1970), and I have to say I am blown away by the standard of painting on the cheap soft plastic Airfix HO&OO figures.

You have to bear in mind that in that era, the figures were regarded as "toys" and both hands and faces were "blobs".
Even "chin straps" on helmets are represented .  :o

There was actually a lot of variation across the Airfix ranges.
I had a set of WW2 Germans (one of the earlier releases) and the figures were just as you describe, like featureless shop dummies.
Compare with the Waterloo 10th Hussars, resplendent with facial hair, chinscales and uniform lace.

I remember some other duds in my psoession were the ACW infantry (A pity since the poses were among the better selections for gaming).

fsn

Charles Grant and his figures were absolutely inspirational.

Why were Airfix British Hussars at least twice the size of the French Cuirassiers?  :-\

Why did half the US Marines have no weapons?  :-\

These are questions that have bothered me for many years.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Cause Airfix figures were designed for use by railway modelers - 1st 2 boxes - Civies and Guards band.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Glorfindel

I think the same could be said for the Regiments shown in the other classic wargame
ruleset, "Charge !".   Some lovely figures.

fsn

They would have been painted in oils wouldn't they? Never tried that myself but will happily tilt my shako to anyone who has.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

mmcv

Any example pictures for those of us who weren't around in the glory days?  ;)

Sunray

01 June 2020, 11:35:18 PM #8 Last Edit: 02 June 2020, 12:06:28 AM by Sunray
Quote from: fsn on 01 June 2020, 01:36:14 PM

Why were Airfix British Hussars at least twice the size of the French Cuirassiers?  :-

Why did half the US Marines have no weapons?  :-

These are questions that have bothered me for many years.

You are not alone Nobby.  

Size variation - Yes, I surmised at the time that perhaps  a different sculptor was used ?  But in some cases the size variation was in the same set.
The US Marine bazooka loader dwarfed a lot of his comrades.  The Senior German Officer in the 1st issue Afrika Korps was a superior sculpt and larger than the troops.

The US Marines (set 1)had a lot of passengers.  Dead and wounded apart, there were a few just splashing through the water?

Airfix HO&OO range began as complimentary to railway figures - the Guards and Band were lovely sculpts. But then then the new additions were first marketed as toys.  The Plastic Soldier Review is worth a visit. It charts their evolution into wargame figures.

Steve J

The Plastic Soldier Review website is great for nostalgic trips, but quite often you realise how poor some of the sculpts/ranges were.

Sunray

All that!  And tiny bases on the figures that would not stand on their own.  And horses -  did I mention that slots in the bases that did no fit the points on the hooves?

But its the Blue Hills Remembered for a lot of us of a certain age. Airfix figures at 2/= per box (10p in today's money) got us started and Grant, Wise and Asquith at al showed us what could be achieved.  :)

FierceKitty

And Pendraken has shown us how much more can be achieved. Gentlemen, to our hosts!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Sunray

Quote from: FierceKitty on 02 June 2020, 11:54:39 AM
And Pendraken has shown us how much more can be achieved. Gentlemen, to our hosts!

+1

fsn

Quote from: Sunray on 02 June 2020, 11:46:28 AM
All that!  And tiny bases on the figures that would not stand on their own.  And horses -  did I mention that slots in the bases that did no fit the points on the hooves?

But its the Blue Hills Remembered for a lot of us of a certain age. Airfix figures at 2/= per box (10p in today's money) got us started and Grant, Wise and Asquith at al showed us what could be achieved.  :)

Gentlemen, at this point I think it is obligatory to mention Plasticine and banana oil.

Ithoriel

Quote from: fsn on 02 June 2020, 01:38:43 PM
Gentlemen, at this point I think it is obligatory to mention Plasticine and banana oil.

... and spears made from iron (not steel) pins with heads hammered flat and shaped to a lethal point?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data