The Marvelous Miscellany of MMcV

Started by mmcv, 30 May 2020, 04:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Thanks!

Quote from: OldenBUA on 02 July 2020, 02:37:17 PM
The purple bush will denote affiliation and can be swapped for other colours? Red for the communists obviously, green for newly raised militia? Just a thought.

Yeah that's a possibility. I almost put it on the UPL bases but decided their purple berets and sashes were enough. I've been thinking a bit about representation but haven't anything definitive. I haven't decided if I'll use unit labels or not yet (will see how easy it is to remember stuff when playing) so if I don't that might be an option. I'll likely include a few bases with flag bearers on them which will help identify those units. My initial round of fights won't see militia vs militia for a bit so shouldn't be too much of a concern. Plus with only 5 figures a base they paint up pretty quick so can add in a few splashes of red for communists when needed to differentiate!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

And now for something a little bit different. Zombies from Zombicide Black Plague.

I think these are 35mm maybe. The zombies from the original Zombicide game were some of the first figures I painted as was easy to cover up all the mistakes with bloodstains! Don't think I've ever photographed them, but definitely having an easier time with these now after a few years experience.

Not sure what to do with the bases, just gone with a sandy brown for now then will maybe do something with them once I've them all painted so it's consistent.

Nine down, sixty two to go...  :-X

The dice say my next paint job is moving to 15mm and Japanese folklore.

Techno

Looking good, Matthew !  :)

Not sure what I'd suggest, re the bases.

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Something fairly pale and simple should work for bases - assuming that the mat they are on is typical for the game.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mmcv

Thanks. I think I'll likely keep the base colour but apply a little "weathering" with different brown and grey tones. I did something similar with the modern zombies for the original, a dark grey base with some lighter grey dry brush streaks to work on tarmac city boards. And some blood spatters of course. The board I photographed on is fairly typical of the game board yeah.

Got a handful of 15mm figures base coated and washed there. Shouldn't take too much to apply touchup and highlights when dry. I've not really done 15mm before so a bit strange as it's somewhere between the "paint the unit" of the smaller scales and the "paint the figure" of the larger ones.

mmcv

15mm Tanuki (Japanese Racoon Dog) Archers for a HotT army. Not entirely happy with these, they're a little too dark still, and the colours aren't quite popping like I want. Think I'll maybe redo the faces and add some patterns to the clothes, but putting them aside for now and will return in future as I'm not really having fun with them right now.

Back to the real world with some Aztecs next.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO trhe dreded "A" word......

Dont tell Kitty but I have some 6mm ones
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

Quote from: ianrs54 on 09 July 2020, 04:19:49 PM
Dont tell Kitty but I have some 6mm ones

Not a word...

;D ;D ;D

By Aztecs I, of course, mean the Mexica of the Nahua altepetl of Tenochtitlan who probably would not have called themselves Aztecs, but may have recognised the "People from Aztlan" moniker as part of their identity.

Just in case there was any confusion.

Though I will also be doing other Mesoamerican peoples with the same figures so that could lead to further confusion as they're definitely not Aztecs.

But kind of are.

Techno

Yep ;)....They do look a tad too dark, at the mo', Matthew.

Maybe the black undercoat/bases isn't/aren't helping ?

A bit of your usual skill will easily put those right.....I have no doubt, at all. :)

Cheers - Phil.  :)

PS.....Your cutting mat is FAR too clean.....And I feel quite faint.....knowing that Ian has actually got some Aztecs on his desk. :o :o :o :o

mmcv

Quote from: Techno on 09 July 2020, 04:44:37 PM
Yep ;)....They do look a tad too dark, at the mo', Matthew.

Maybe the black undercoat/bases isn't/aren't helping ?

A bit of your usual skill will easily put those right.....I have no doubt, at all. :)

Cheers - Phil.  :)

PS.....Your cutting mat is FAR too clean.....And I feel quite faint.....knowing that Ian has actually got some Aztecs on his desk. :o :o :o :o

Yeah I think for the skin tone/fur I should probably try a dark brown with the white over the top, rather than the dark grey and the white, might lift them a bit more. Don't want them to look too white though.

My cutting mat isn't that clean, just that section in the photo had a pile of bits and bobs sitting on it for ages so wasn't able to gather a proper patina of stains. The lower half of my mat is well splattered in paint, ink, primer and encrusted on bits of milliput from years ago, don't you worry.

;D

FierceKitty

I had some 6mm ones too in my young and ignorant days.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

13 July 2020, 02:04:37 PM #148 Last Edit: 13 July 2020, 02:22:55 PM by mmcv
Here we go, this colourful unit is led by the warrior priests who had a whole different military and rank structure from the secular military forces.

The poor slinger at the front has a bit of grass in his face, but like a true warrior he's still slinging away.

Haven't determined what my next paint job will be, will roll the dice when I'm ready to do it and see what comes up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: mmcv on 13 July 2020, 02:04:37 PM
Here we go, this colourful unit is lead ...

...because it's a cheap, easily cast, and durable material.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.