The Marvelous Miscellany of MMcV

Started by mmcv, 30 May 2020, 04:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Quote from: mmcv on 30 May 2020, 08:23:16 PM
Some really fun figures in the fantasy range. Props to Phil as I think he was the sculptor for them? Have a few more of the fantasy figures based and primed for when I fancy a "palate cleanser".
I'll get the rest of the pictures up later tonight or tomorrow hopefully. And maybe lay out some of my plans for the next little while (whether I end up sticking to them is another matter...)

To be fair....As far as the current fantasy ranges are concerned....... I, at least, 'prettied up' and converted every single figure....Though I did make a good few newies/new bits for each of the ranges.

The only 'army' that was virtually all my own work was the dragonmen.

Very pleased that you're enjoying the ranges !....I had a lot of fun doing them.

Looking forward to the next batch of photo's. :-bd

Cheers - Phil

mmcv

Next up we're taking a bit of a diversion into another scale and looking at my 2mm forces for the British and some Turkish allies in the Crimean War. I'm fairly sure I've another 10 or 15 bases of these in a box with the start of the French army but there's enough here to get the gist. I also have around 50 bases of Russians to prime and paint at some point and the French to assemble. All in all, should have enough to cover most of the BBB Crimean War scenarios.

Infantry commanders:

Light infantry/skirmishers:

The single line is for veterans, the double line standard infantry:

The Turks in the back:

Artillery, cavalry and general:

mmcv

And finally we travel to Mexico for some of the glorious Aztec range. These models are beautifully sculpted and a joy to paint given the detail and opportunity for colour. I fear I don't do them justice.

In the one's below I've picked a colour theme for each group but I have some more awaiting finishing touches that are a riot of colour and will be adding even more units soon.

Skirmishers:

Eagle and Jaguar Warriors:

The atlatl thrower on the small base is a shock missile marker.

City infantry with attached hero marker:

Some "wargamers eye view" shots:

Close-ups of the markers, some of these came out a little darker than I'd hoped but the heroes have face paint and tattoos:

And these poor sods who were mangled in the name of casualty markers:

mmcv

That's all the pictures I have so far, other than this:

"What is that?" I hear you cry in disgust.

On another thread recently I was discussing different ways to make a battle board with an embedded grid. This is experiment 1. Someone suggested the clever idea of using tile spacers, so I've made a small grid using them and will add some paint and flock soon to see how it looks. It'll obviously be a little warped on the thin card but that's fine for the experiment. I did use a fairly lightweight filler here which may not work as well but will see once fully set.

So I'll be tracking any progress on that here as well as future updates on the existing projects, such as the large crusades expansion, more adventures in Mexico, those 2mm Russians and French and some new projects that might join the queue as I recently got the seeds of as Early Imperial China project and a Trojan War project. I've also some ideas and figures based around a 20th-century alt-history project, a 15mm Japanese myth HOTT army or two, plus a load of 32mm zombies. So quite a few different bits to play around with!

FierceKitty

Och, it's the dreaded porridge monster the noo! Man the sporrans and load the usquabaugh! All cabers on deck!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Cracking work, again, Matthew !  :-bd

The Aztecs were also fun to do......Apart from those s*dding back banners. X_X ;).......There was an awful lot of bad language when I was doing those. ~X(

Be interesting to see how the battle-board comes out. From the 'experiment' it looks like you're definitely on the right lines. :)

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

Thanks!

Quote from: Techno on 31 May 2020, 08:02:59 AM

The Aztecs were also fun to do......Apart from those s*dding back banners. X_X ;).......There was an awful lot of bad language when I was doing those. ~X(

I must say I have found trying to attach the banners pretty frustrating, though have done suggestions to try for the next batch to make it easier.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mmcv

Added some brown paint to the porridge monster. The tile spacers aren't too clear currently but hopefully once dry and drybrushed over they'll become more apparent.

Got a bunch of sample brown wall paints in a bargain bucket last year on the basis I'd use them for something like this at some point.

FierceKitty

Och, somehow a chocolate porridge monster isnae so intimidatin'!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

Looks like single spacers just get lost, tried dry brushing and washes but still not clear enough. Have stuck a couple on top of the hidden ones to see if I can blend them in but still stand out.

Also going to try with sticking a couple together then doing it to see if they stand out more after the filler.

hammurabi70

Quote from: mmcv on 30 May 2020, 11:09:08 PM
Next up we're taking a bit of a diversion into another scale and looking at my 2mm forces for the British and some Turkish allies in the Crimean War. I'm fairly sure I've another 10 or 15 bases of these in a box with the start of the French army but there's enough here to get the gist. I also have around 50 bases of Russians to prime and paint at some point and the French to assemble. All in all, should have enough to cover most of the BBB Crimean War scenarios.

Special created for Bloody Big Battles usage or for the Crimean War [in Crimea or the Baltic]?

mmcv

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 31 May 2020, 06:27:49 PM
Special created for Bloody Big Battles usage or for the Crimean War [in Crimea or the Baltic]?

Primarily built around the various BBB scenarios, though I'm sure they'll see service elsewhere in time.

mmcv

Some more experiments for the board here. Added some tile spacers on top of the ones hidden by the filler and flocking around them. Looking a bit better. Also tried a couple with various bits below the flock to create small mounds.

At the top left I've tried with doubled spacers and waiting some bits to dry. May need another layer of flock.

To the right of that I've hidden a magnet under the flock and have a small clump on ferrous paper drying to see how it works.