The Marvelous Miscellany of MMcV

Started by mmcv, 30 May 2020, 04:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

As I've been moving away from a one project at a time approach to a little bit of everything approach over the past 6-8 months I figure single project threads like my previous ones ( http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18100.0.html and http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18188.0.html) don't really work as well so wanted to create a single thread to post about ongoing projects.

My original title for this thread was Matthew's Marvelous Miscellany but alas that fell afoul of the apostrophe bug!

The following posts will cover some of what I've been up to the past while. Not photographed are the 200 or so crusaders that I've painted recently and have only just received the bases for, so that will be coming in future when I can paint up a few command figures and face the basing marathon and flag making required!

As we've had some good weather I was able to get a lot of my backlog varnished and was able to photograph them all, so will be posting here over the next while.

Enjoy!

Matthew

Techno

Look damn fine, Matthew !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

mmcv

First up some new command elements for my Crusaders and Saracen forces. I have an idea on using these guys for a campaign so you'll be seeing them again in future complete with names and backgrounds when the Barony of Nusquam and the Emirate of Lamakan come to blows in the far reaches of the middle east.

Figures are a mix of Pendraken and Irregular I believe.

The Crusaders:

The Saracens:

And as a bonus a few marker units to represent spears/lances/heroes:

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

Next up filling the major gap in the forces of Islam is a whole lot of light cavalry and hordes of horse archers.

Techno

Those really are the bee's knees, Matthew !
Big 'pat on the back'......Love 'em !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil :)

mmcv

Around Christmas last year I went on a bit of a rare fantasy binge after watching too much Critical Role and playing a few fantasy games like 4 Against Darkness. Plan to use these for Sellwords and Spellslingers if the fantasy urge comes round again. Or is it Spellslingers and Sellswords.

Had a lot of fun with the Pendraken fantasy range and used it to experiment with different techniques for painting and basing, for instance airbrushing, different use of dry brushing and highlights as well lighting and metallics. Was a nice change of pace from batch painting large armies.

First up some undead:

The necromancer I spent a fair bit of time experimenting with, especially the glowing eyes on his staff and the light and shadow effects from that.

mmcv

And now the good guys:

And given the time of year I was painting these added a bit of festive cheer:

mmcv

Thanks Alexander and Phil!

More to come later when we visit the Crimea and Mexico...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

O Dinas Powys

Cracking stuff  :-bd

Nice to see Phil getting out for some fresh air  :o

(Just in front/right of the grub!)  ;)
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

fsn

Is he doing the Time Walk?

Very fond of the Time Walk is our Phil.

Doesn't get out to the shows much ... not now his legs can't take the stockings.

He can still manage the jumps to the left and the jumps to the right, but the pelvic thrusts ... strong men have been known to faint 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Nah...That's not a selfie.

Hair's too short.

Pelvic thrusts ?..With MY back ?

Belting work, again, Matthew.  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

fred.

What a great thread!

I love the title too, and I don't think it will disappoint from what we have seen, and what is being foreshadowed.

The necromancer is great, you don't often see lighting effects done in 10mm.
A small suggestion, if I may, the bases of his undead could do with a little something more. One thing I have done on similar bases is to paint in lines to represent flagstones, or similar stone floor. If you use a dark and a light colour you can get a bit of 3D effect pretty easily.

The crusades project promises to be epic - looking to see all of these forces together.

The banjo playing samurai ape is certainly unique!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mmcv

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Glad you're enjoying it.

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 30 May 2020, 06:10:59 PM

Nice to see Phil getting out for some fresh air  :o

;D ;D 

Quote from: fred. on 30 May 2020, 07:03:10 PM

The necromancer is great, you don't often see lighting effects done in 10mm.

Thanks, it was something I'd wanted to play around with to make him stand out a bit more. I'd originally included a second light source behind him as well but didn't like the look so went back to having the rest dark to make the staff pop out more.

A small suggestion, if I may, the bases of his undead could do with a little something more. One thing I have done on similar bases is to paint in lines to represent flagstones, or similar stone floor. If you use a dark and a light colour you can get a bit of 3D effect pretty easily.

Yeah you may be right, I was experimenting a bit with using airbrushing and dry brush over for those bases but don't think I'd enough of a texture in the modelling paste base to pick it up. I still have a stack more undead to play with in the future so may try other basing then.

The crusades project promises to be epic - looking to see all of these forces together.

For sure, be good to get them all done. Still have a couple more packs of knights I want to paint up and decide if I want to rebase some of the original ones I did on larger bases but I'm pretty close to being able to do some of the bigger battles in the period. Dorylaeum and Arsuf are two I've been planning scenarios for. And just have to finish off a few tents and buildings and I'll be able to start my mini holy war campaign.

The banjo playing samurai ape is certainly unique!

It certainly is, I felt it needed a suitably epic base. All that's missing is the lightning storm backdrop! Some really fun figures in the fantasy range. Props to Phil as I think he was the sculptor for them? Have a few more of the fantasy figures based and primed for when I fancy a "palate cleanser".

I'll get the rest of the pictures up later tonight or tomorrow hopefully. And maybe lay out some of my plans for the next little while (whether I end up sticking to them is another matter...)