The Marvelous Miscellany of MMcV

Started by mmcv, 30 May 2020, 04:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 22 September 2020, 06:59:37 PM
SotE or SoG with a full report here subsequently.

Pints? Surely a Yard ... or maybe upgrade to a gallon in these depressing times.

I did in fact go with the SotE which I posted up a little while back.

September update, nothing new from the start of the month sadly: https://mmcvhistory.home.blog/2020/09/28/projects-update-september-2020/

What this month is like will depend on how quickly we get the house sold and I can unpack all my hobby stuff from the roof space (and assess the damage from it's trip up and down the ladder).

There may be several gallons drank on that occasion!

mmcv

Starting to get some of the painting stuff down from storage again. Some Chinese primed and ready for a lick of paint. As I've been redirecting my hobby energy into my rules for feudal Japan I've put together some cardboard counters to try out the rules on the table properly.

Unfortunately my printer refused to play ball. Not only had the power lead somehow walked away (likely to the dump during clear out) and needed replacing, the black ink refused to work, then eventually did start working a bit only for the red to die on me so my red Mori clan units came out yellow, as did my orange Oda. And decided to print my mon tokens printed the wrong way....

But with a bit of rebranding I was able to put together two armies, the now yellow Oda and the new blue Azai clan.

All being well there'll be a battle tomorrow and report to follow.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mmcv

Got back to some proper painting last night for the first time in a while. Tackling what's left on the Qin Chinese forces (the black and red boyos in previous pics). Couple of bases of Qin crossbowmen pretty much done, with a good start on the remaining infantry bases too. After that, there are four bases of bow cavalry to do then the commands and a camp and that's them pretty much done.

Pictures in due course.

For the command, I've been experimenting with cutting hexagonal bases in half and using them for "attached" commanders. For rulesets like TtS! many commanders only exist as an attached entity, not an individual unit, and it always irked me a little having a circular base "attached" to a square one, so hopefully the half hex bases will fit in more nicely, but still work on their own if running other rules with them.

Detached commanders will still be on their own circular base.

The only ponderable is how to deal with chariot commanders. For the Qin it's not too bad as I've built their list in such a way that only the detached general is in a chariot so has his own circular base. But some of the other lists I've planned, such as the Chu opponents (the white and grey boyos), should rightly have attached chariot commanders. I may just have to do them as mounted on horses instead for "ease of attachment", otherwise the attached bases would be too big. Horse mounted commanders is fine for the later period stuff, just a little out of place in the earlier ones as I've built the lists with options to cover from the Warring States through to Early Imperial periods.

Chariots are the real pain when it comes to smaller basing methods, the infantry and cavalry all look okay, but the chariots are just so big!

mmcv

After finishing off the Qin Chinese (see http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,20210.0.html and my blog) I figured I may as well power through and finish off their opponents, the Chu.

Good progress yesterday towards finishing off the last of the infantry, then need to do a few bases of cavalry and some chariots and command pieces. All being well I'll be able to get some games going for them soon. Will be nice having the option to play a game with a new set of miniatures.

mmcv

Chu infantry done (other than a few bits to add to the bases).

Chu cavalry and command primed.

Chu chariots built.

Should come together quickly enough and be ready for some games soon.  8->

Techno II

Excellent !

Pics of the games in progress ?......Pretty please.

Cheers - Phil :)

mmcv

No games just yet, but hopefully after a few more painting sessions I'll be ready. I will of course fire up some pics of the figures as they're done and batreps in time.

Techno II

mmcv

Photos. Chu Guard Infantry. Not varnished yet so stray static grass will be dealt with in time. Bonus points for spotting the fix job on the broken sword. I did consider sanding it down a bit but that'll just risk weakening it and to be honest, you don't really notice at arms length. I'm generally doing these as "quick paint, looks okay on the table" style rather than painstakingly picking out every detail.

And some tribal archers

Chariots, cavalry and command all primed and lined up for painting next.

Techno II

I wouldn't have noticed the broken sword.....but then, you mentioned it. ;)

Looking good !!  :-bd

Cheers - Phil :)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mmcv

The Chu forces near their completion. Painted and based, just awaiting everything drying to add grass and touch-ups. Perchance ready for a battle in the coming week or two. Waiting for PVA to dry though is a pain! I took the risk of attaching flags while basing rather than awaiting two rounds of drying. One minor casualty but easily remade.

Will be fun to game with two brand new forces on the table.

mmcv

Chu forces complete.

Decided all the Chinese bases were a bit sparse looking so added a bit more grit and summer scatter to them all, including the Qin, to texture and brighten them up.

I'll photograph the Chu once I've time and inclination.

I may start a unit or few test figures of the Han to try out a colour scheme for them as they'll be the next addition to the Chinese, but other than that I'll probably go back to the Aztecs for a while and finish them up. Hopefully they've survived their sojourn in the roof space. It's a lot colder up there than they may be used to.