Credit Card

Started by Raider4, 28 May 2020, 03:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Just received a new one - slightly stunned that it still asks me to sign the back.

Wonders when the last time I actually paid for something & signed for it, rather than using the PIN number? Must be years.

FierceKitty

"PIN number"? I'd stick to signing if I were you.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Quote from: FierceKitty on 28 May 2020, 03:29:37 PM
"PIN number"? I'd stick to signing if I were you.

Eh ? What ?........Not signed a credit card slip for......ERM.....Years.
I don't think any (open) shops around here would have the facility....And this is Wales ! :o :o

"Just wave your card over the terminal.".....No....You can take cash, or I'll punch my number into the machine.

Cheers - Phil. ;)

mmcv

I haven't signed the back of my cards for years. On the odd occasion when the chip hasn't been read properly and they swipe it, they never even bother to check the signature on the card when I've signed the receipt.

It generally irks me when I have to sign things since it seems like such an irrelevance these days.

Signatures almost caused me some difficulties when I was younger as the signature on my provisional driving license (obtained at 16 or 17) didn't match my "adult" signature when I finally got around to doing the driving theory test in my early 20s. That combined with the additional facial hair I'd grown in the intervening years I think the admin woman thought I was a stand-in sent to do the test in my place. Had to sign multiple times and (I kid you not) cover my beard up with my hands before she was satisfied I was me...

I also had a cheque bounced once because I didn't sign it. I didn't know you were meant to sign it, it didn't say anywhere you should sign it and I'm of a generation who never uses cheques except when given as gifts by grandparents or having to send money to archaic institutions who can't deal with online payments or bank transfers. A lot of banks aren't issuing cheque books anymore so thankfully most of those places have had to adapt to the 21st century or not get paid!

Matt J

When you return goods in a shop they check the signature on the card you paid with.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Ithoriel

Had to sign something at the bank back before lockdown and caused some consternation when my signature didn't match their reference sample.  So I gave three more samples, showed them my driving licence and passport and a photo ID card. It was obvious I was who I said I was from the photos but none of the seven signatures matched each other. They gave up and accepted I was me. Phew!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

I suspect FK is pointing out that the N in PIN is for number, therefore PIN Number is redundant - despite it being the common usage

Last time I was asked to sign for a card payment (due to something being broken) I nearly wrote my PIN number on the slip!

I had got very used to using my phone - so Face ID - for payments. But with Covid, I've gone back to plastic cards for payments, as I would much rather keep my phone in my pocket, than wave it around near a till point, where many other people have been...
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

FierceKitty

Unless you also talk about the SYW War, or the UK Kingdom....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Sign a credit card - I have to wet it and push a stylus into the clay !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

The real reason they went to "Chip and Pin" was to cut down on Fraud.

Counterfeiting a signature is fraudulent. Entering a correct  PIN on a card that is not yours is merely theft. A lower case of crime and therefore less worthy of investigation.

Technically you can sign a for a credit card purchase with any signature you like provided it is yours and you are authorised to use the card. What you cannot do is counterfeit the signature   

When my parents went to the supermarket they always paid on the credit card and paid the card off each month. When my Dad was in hospital we took Mum shopping.  We got to the till, she pulled out the credit card and as they swiped it through the manual machine  we saw it was dads credit card. She happily signed the credit card slip with her own signature.  they accepted it and got out of the shop quickly.

Asking Mum why she had used Dads credit card she replied " That's the card we always use, and anyway I don't have one"

We called the credit card company to advise them of the mistake and they asked. "Did you have permission to use his card?" and "did your Mum  use your own signature?". On answering both with a yes they said "Ok nothing to worry about then."

As we had permission to use the card it was not theft and as we did not try to copy his signature it was not fraud. So a perfectly legal transaction.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Last Hussar

Chip and Pin is much more secure, there is a significant decline in fraud/theft where ever it is introduced.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Orcs

Quote from: Last Hussar on 03 June 2020, 06:45:08 PM
Chip and Pin is much more secure, there is a significant decline in fraud/theft where ever it is introduced.

Fraud is defined as a criminal deception committed by a person who acts in a false and deceitful way

Fraud declines because you are not committing a deception - If you enter the correct PIN when using a card that is not yours you have not committed fraud.

With contactless we are going completely insecure. you merely have to have the card in your possession and if its not been reported it will work.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Last Hussar

Oddly that much derided 3 digits on the back also significantly decreases illegal use.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry