Who wears gloves?

Started by hammurabi70, 28 May 2020, 02:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammurabi70

I was painting the crews of the machine guns and mortars this morning when I had a light-bulb-moment. :-$ (where's the light bulb emoji when you need it).

Would such people be wearing gloves? I have never served in the infantry so have no idea when gloves would be used. This raises two issues:
(1) what is actually correct?
(2) what is the impression the modeller wants to convey?

I want the viewer to 'see' the hand as skin because of the impression it gives but in handling such moving metal in a battle environment what would individuals actually choose to have?

jimduncanuk

Depends on the period and theatre but Officers often wore gloves.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Discouraged, as could get caught in the mechanism, although Finnish AK clone has no trigger guard to allow operation in several pairs.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Falklands war most officers and men wore black leather NI gloves.

Brunswickers wore green leather gloves in the Napoleonic and later wars.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Sunray

Quote from: mad lemmey on 28 May 2020, 05:47:50 PM
Falklands war most officers and men wore black leather NI gloves.

Brunswickers wore green leather gloves in the Napoleonic and later wars.

As correctly cited above. The NI glove was a bit of a status symbol as it came with the GSM "N Ireland" clasp and signified that the wearer had in a theatre of ops where hot lead frequently flew.  They were thin leather and snug fitting with a reinforcement over the knuckles.   The glove NI was issued circa 1979.

There was a green woollen glove that predated them.  They were useless  once wet unless one acquired the Norgie mit to fit over them.  The British Army was -in general - more tolerant of informal  kit than other armies, especially on deployment.   Norgie shirts,  Doctor Martin boots, Norgie and Canadian gloves/mits and Bergus ROCs were the norm by the early 1980s.

Orcs

I am resisting the urge to answer the question "Who wears gloves"  with a comment along the lines of "A doctor doing a prostate examination." - whoops did I type that out loud?
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

We all know you'd no more say something like that than I'd say "**** is a ***** ***** who likes to ****** his ***** with ****** and ***** ** ** *** ********".

I wonder if that'll get censored?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

I can if you want.

Or I could fill in the blanks.....(Decisions, decisions. :-\)

Cheers - Phil

You don't know the correct language Phil !

Techno

True.....I never use bad language !! :^o :^o :^o

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 28 May 2020, 02:33:54 PM
(where's the light bulb emoji when you need it).

Will this one do ?*-:)

Cheers - Phil ;)

mmcv

Quote from: Techno on 29 May 2020, 01:11:51 PM
True.....I never use bad language !! :^o :^o :^o

Will this one do ?*-:)

Cheers - Phil ;)

It seems Phil has access to a secret moderator set of emojis :-\ You've been holding out on us! I also just worked out how to make :-\ work too. Never used to work in preview but adding an extra slash on the end makes it show (in case anyone else has been similarly miffed).

Techno

I don't think they're secret.....I can't remember how I found them.....

Messing around, probably !

I think you'll need to look at this post, as if you're replying to it, to see the different combinations of colons, plus signs, question marks etc.

These are the ones I liked.....

:-??    (I don't know)
%-(    (Not listening)
:@)     (Pig)
*-:)     (Idea)
8-X     (Skull)
:-"       (Whistling)
[-X     (Shame on you)
:-@     (Chatterbox)
^:)^  (Not worthy)
b-(     (Feeling beat up)
>:/    (Bring it on)
:-j       (Oh, go on)

I think there are some others, as well.
Enjoy.

Cheers - Phil :)

Hit the more underlined at the end of the pictographs will get you there ! :-bd

DHautpol

Does rather conjure up the image of them having their gloves on strings to prevent them getting lost in the heat of battle.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Quote from: DHautpol on 29 May 2020, 03:54:34 PM
Does rather conjure up the image of them having their gloves on strings to prevent them getting lost in the heat of battle.

Ha,Ha, I have a photo some where  of me in a duffel coat with woollen mittens on string to stop me loosing them - I must have been about 3
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson