6mm Cold War 3D-Printed Armies

Started by bigjackmac, 27 May 2020, 03:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

I'm ramping up for a Cold War campaign and I needed forces, so I went and got me some 6mm 3D-Printed armies from Bashytubits over on TMP; he was great to work with, allowed me to tailor everything exactly as I wanted it.  Production was very quick, they were in my hands in no time, and I've finally gotten them painted up and wanted to show them to the world.

The whole mess: I've got Soviets (bottom left), West Germans (bottom right), Americans (top right), and British (top left).  If you squint real hard and don't pay attention to the mismatched paintjobs, I could pull from the three NATO members to make some Canadians, too, sort of.

The 3D-Printed troops come on a stand about 60mm x 30mm, with either 3 vehicles or a gaggle (14) infantrymen on it.  They took awhile to clean up but look nice, were easy to paint up, and I appreciated the fact they came on a base.

Armor of the Soviet hordes!

West Germans.

BAOR.

And the Yanks.

To see a bunch more pics, please check the blog at:
https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2020/05/6mm-cold-war-3d-printed-armies.html

Another batrep coming up tomorrow, this time my first run out of the Osprey "Black Ops" rules.

V/R,
Jack

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Look good - Which rule system Jack ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

They look nice. Did you get many mold lines?
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Sunray

Intrigued to see how Osprey Black Ops rules plays out in 6mm.

fred.

Impressive horde Jack!

I'm not familiar with the vehicles - but there seem to be quite a lot of print lines on some of the Russian kit

This 3d printing thing is seeming more and more tempting (not that I need more stuff to store and paint)

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

petercooman

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

Quote from: mad lemmey on 27 May 2020, 10:21:17 PM
Okay, I'm impressed

So am I  :-bd

3D printing in 1/300th scale is looking like the way to go for any future ventures in that scale......if you have a reasonably capable 3D printer or access to one.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

bigjackmac

Hey, thanks everyone, I'm glad you like it!  The collection will definitely work for what I'm trying to do.

Ian - I'm probably going to stick with Cold War Commander.

Orcs - Yeah, if you zoom in you can see a lot of striations, but it's all about your tolerance for such things.  My plan is to play big battles, probably on a 6' x 4' table, so won't even see that stuff at tabletop distance.

James - Sorry for the confusion, Sir, I'm playing Black Ops in 15mm, not 6mm.  I was just posting photos of this stuff while mentioning I'll be posting a Black Ops batrep tomorrow, which was played in 15mm.

These 3D printers use some sort of plastic or nylon or something, and so the detail can be a bit soft and the striations are definitely present, but I've seen photos of some minis done with the new resin printers and they are absolutely amazing.

V/R,
Jack

Nick the Lemming

How much do they work out at per vehicle, if you don;t mind me asking?

bigjackmac

Nick - All told, it's about the same as ordering HR in the States, which charges 40% shipping and handling, though it does include bases, which I have not taken into account.  From my perspective, HR is a shade nicer in quality, but this was much faster (I received in less than two weeks from ordering), and I wanted to see what 3D printers could do in 6mm.  One last aspect: you don't have to assemble anything, but cleaning these things are a real @#$%!!!

V/R,
Jack

Techno

Those really are rather spiffy ! :-bd

Cheers - Phil

bigjackmac