Things I learned from watching American films

Started by fsn, 25 May 2020, 09:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunjester

Quote from: FierceKitty on 06 June 2020, 04:04:46 PM
Japanese cinema:
*   In a world containing animation, the Japanese will not face the fact that what was ground-breaking fifty years ago has been hopelessly left behind by the Americans.

But still the plot lines are absolute sh*te! ;D

Orcs

Quote from: fsn on 06 June 2020, 03:26:01 PM
but they are orchestrating the mischief that you're getting blamed for.

I know a bit about orchestrating the mischief that you're getting blamed for  ;D ;D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

Quote from: sunjester on 06 June 2020, 10:05:46 PM
But still the plot lines are absolute sh*te! ;D

Come on - Shrek, The Incredibles, Kung Fu Panda....they don't always work, but there's some dam' good stuff these days.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

flamingpig0

A pterodactyl is strong enough to carry Raquel Welch

"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Heedless Horseman

Well, He'd certainly have a go, wouldn't He!  ;)  :d

Awful film...wildly inaccurate and possibly, inappropriate, (Huh! :o ) ...BUT it had  DINOSAURS...(AND RAQUEL WELCH!)  8)  8) I loved Dinosaurs when a kid...and the 'Walking With' tv 'Docs' too.
Now, the thought that many may have looked like 'Kooky Chickens'...rather puts me off.  :(  :(
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

flamingpig0

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 26 June 2020, 02:03:42 AM
Well, He'd certainly have a go, wouldn't He!  ;)  :d

Awful film...wildly inaccurate and possibly, inappropriate, (Huh! :o ) ...BUT it had  DINOSAURS...(AND RAQUEL WELCH!)  8)  8) I loved Dinosaurs when a kid...and the 'Walking With' tv 'Docs' too.
Now, the thought that many may have looked like 'Kooky Chickens'...rather puts me off.  :(  :(

For a variety of reasons I consider it to be a cinematic masterpiece
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Ithoriel

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 26 June 2020, 02:03:42 AM

I have to say I was rather disappointed to read that recent research suggests T-Rex didn't look like a giant fluffy chick.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

No T-Rex is a Cannarey, Red Dwarf said so !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

Well, T-Rex and canaries are relatives, however distant, for sure :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Heedless Horseman

Quote from: Ithoriel on 26 June 2020, 10:22:56 AM
Well, T-Rex and canaries are relatives, however distant, for sure :)

Oh No...NOT a singing T Rex, Please!  :o
Tho' this wasn't bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkTh_T75QY

Have always wondered why film-makers make Dinosaurs ROAR!!! I THINK Crocodilians and Komodos 'Cough' and 'Hisss'.. They probably 'Belch' and 'F**t',  too...but by then, you would either be FAR away or past caring about manners!  ;D

Does anyone remember a Sunday afternoon 'Antiques' TV programme from the '70's... 'Going For A Song'...with a mechanical singing Canary? Could never figure out whether this was real or faked! Lol!  :(
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

fsn

• Striking someone once on the back of the head is sufficent to knock them out
  • They will then wake up, rub the back of the neck and be OK
  • Someone who is shot can carry on normally after being attended for five minutes by a disgraced doctor, or better still, a vet
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 27 June 2020, 04:13:31 AM
Does anyone remember a Sunday afternoon 'Antiques' TV programme from the '70's... 'Going For A Song'...with a mechanical singing Canary? Could never figure out whether this was real or faked! Lol!  :(

Sadly, Yes.....Seem to remember there was a chap called Arthur Negus as the resident expert ?

Cheers - Phil :)

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

chrishanley

If you find yourself with a bunch of friends in an abandoned building and there is some scary music. Don't split up...

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 27 June 2020, 04:13:31 AM
Oh No...NOT a singing T Rex, Please!  :o
Tho' this wasn't bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkTh_T75QY

Have always wondered why film-makers make Dinosaurs ROAR!!! I THINK Crocodilians and Komodos 'Cough' and 'Hisss'.. They probably 'Belch' and 'F**t',  too...but by then, you would either be FAR away or past caring about manners!  ;D

There was an episode of The Curious Cases of Rutherford and Fry - Radio 4 production, available as a podcast with extra bits and well worth a listen - which went into this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0004sdq

Based on its size and the assumption that T. rex would have a syrinx like an extant bird, they had it kind of coo-rumbling like an elephantine pigeon if I remember correctly  :o (More terrifying than it sounds!)

Think I'll have to give it another listen  :-\
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )