Operation Barbarossa Maps

Started by bigjackmac, 22 May 2020, 04:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

They ain't pretty, and they certainly ain't perfect, but here's what I came up with.  I'm preparing to run map campaigns for my "Kampgruppe Klink" for Operation Barbarossa, and what I've decided is separate maps for Minsk, Smolensk, Kiev, and Vyazma.  Take a look, if ya like.

Minsk, north is up.

Smolensk, north is up.

Kiev, north is left.

And Vyazma, taking us right up to Zhukov's winter counteroffensive.

Let me know what you think.

V/R,
Jack

Techno

They're very neat and clear, Jack.  :)

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Absolutely perfect for a campaign and look good as well.

Sunray

That will work.  It simplifies the topographical detail to a level (1) that will transfer tabletop and correlate with the map.  You can- if you wish to indulge us- reflect accurately the positions of units on the table top.

(1) Transport and rail operators do much the same thing. 

I now work on 12" x 12" squares which match the map, and a lot of my roads and paths end at the  6" centre of the square - that makes the some detailed  terrain square (such as urban street detail)  interchangeable. 

pierre the shy

Your Greek campaign map worked very well so these look fine to me.

Russia is certainly a big place.....

I take it you're not expecting to reach the gates of Moscow before the winter sets in?

Look forward to following Col Klink's further engagements.

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

bigjackmac

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like them, and hopefully they can be some use to any of our fellow wargamers contemplating something similar.

James - These maps will definitely mark the unit locations for the campaign and determine which tabletop fights occur, but I can't put the level of detail necessary into them to port it straight to a gaming table.  Ultimately one grid square will hold one friendly and/or enemy unit counter, and will serve as one 6' x 4' table.  I'll have to figure out the micro-terrain using dice and a table.  I do really like you're 12" square concept though, may have to give that a shot in a future project.

Pierre - Yeah, for my purposes, I think Vyazma is the gates of Moscow in this campaign, or close enough ;)  I'm looking to play the first KG Klink game next Friday, will post as soon as I can after that.

V/R,
Jack