Anyone created a gridded terrain board?

Started by mmcv, 18 May 2020, 05:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

Quote from: FierceKitty on 19 May 2020, 09:14:10 AM
Couldn't you have the dark light on at the same time as a normal one?

Wouldn't that just make grey light?
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Where did I put the broom, a cat has sneaked in ...
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Smoking gun

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 19 May 2020, 11:27:07 PM
One of the reasons I want to build a gridded table is for PBI, so I am interested in learning more, although what 'more' might be I have no idea.  I gather there was a new 2015 version.  Is that very different to the previous versions?  What pleases you about those rules?  

The current edition is called "Company Commander" and the army lists are a separate book called "Company Architect", beware of used sets on eBay they often are the previous versions.

I have to add a word of caution here there is talk on the RFCM Forum of a new version coming out in the next year or so, to a certain extent when depends on Covid due to playtesting restrictions etc.

There is an introductory version using just infantry which is a free download from here: https://www.peterpig.co.uk/PBIQS.pdf There are some videos explaining the rules on the Peter Pig website accessable from here:https://peterpig.co.uk/videos%20of%20game%20mechanisms.html

Best wishes,
Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.

mmcv

I didn't notice it at the time, but I think that last post of mine here was my promotion to colonel...so drinks all around chaps!

It doesn't seem that long since my last promotion....I probably need to get a life...  ;) ;D

FierceKitty

hammurabi70

Quote from: Smoking gun on 20 May 2020, 12:14:10 PM
The current edition is called "Company Commander" and the army lists are a separate book called "Company Architect", beware of used sets on eBay they often are the previous versions.

I have to add a word of caution here there is talk on the RFCM Forum of a new version coming out in the next year or so, to a certain extent when depends on Covid due to playtesting restrictions etc.

There is an introductory version using just infantry which is a free download from here: https://www.peterpig.co.uk/PBIQS.pdf There are some videos explaining the rules on the Peter Pig website accessable from here:https://peterpig.co.uk/videos%20of%20game%20mechanisms.html

Best wishes,
Martin

Many thanks; very helpful. I see there is a copy of PBI II on eBay for £8. Not sure why it needs further 'upgrading'. They seem to be rules that people use but they have never reached mass market penetration.

Sunray

Quote from: mmcv on 21 May 2020, 03:27:53 PM
I didn't notice it at the time, but I think that last post of mine here was my promotion to colonel...so drinks all around chaps!

It doesn't seem that long since my last promotion....I probably need to get a life...  ;) ;D

Congratulations Colonel !  1.9 posts per day is impressive use of forum.  I find I am reading posts more.  Always looking for a good Bat Rep, eye candy paint job, or getting a heads up on a product via networking. 

This  forum community is helping to maintain my sanity. 

Keep posting.

James

Raider4

Quote from: Sunray on 21 May 2020, 05:46:51 PM
I find I am reading posts more.  Always looking for a good Bat Rep, eye candy paint job, or getting a heads up on a product via networking. 

Agree with all the above, plus I'm spending a fair bit of time on Youtube. Some interesting stuff there in amongst all the dross.

mmcv

Quote from: Sunray on 21 May 2020, 05:46:51 PM
Congratulations Colonel !  1.9 posts per day is impressive use of forum.  I find I am reading posts more.  Always looking for a good Bat Rep, eye candy paint job, or getting a heads up on a product via networking. 

Keep posting.

James

Thanks James! Speaking of eye candy, I hear you telling of all these wonderful diaramas and scenic pieces you make for your games. I hope we'll see some pictures in the future?

Quote from: Raider4 on 21 May 2020, 06:13:07 PM
Agree with all the above, plus I'm spending a fair bit of time on Youtube. Some interesting stuff there in amongst all the dross.

YouTube has some amazing stuff, the sheer quantity of superb historical videos and other informative channels , lecturers, etc, provide a good background listen or watch. I've been doing a lot on the late bronze age and early imperial Chinese history while painting in preparation for a couple of new projects.

paulr

Congratulations on the promotion MMCV
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

Quote from: mmcv on 21 May 2020, 06:39:34 PM
Thanks James! Speaking of eye candy, I hear you telling of all these wonderful diaramas and scenic pieces you make for your games. I hope we'll see some pictures in the future?

As soon as the Leven harbour gets to me via "THE MAILMAN" - I call him Kevin Costner - and a few extra bits arrive, I will get building.  I have it planned out on hardboard.  12"x 12"

The Cruel Sea Project in 10mm is also awaiting guns and torpedoes.   I have modified Dinky MTB hulls . :)   

I have also discovered a Halfords primer in a dark matt red- ideal for tile roofs!

Stay safe.

James 

Smoking gun

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 21 May 2020, 04:57:20 PM
Many thanks; very helpful. I see there is a copy of PBI II on eBay for £8. Not sure why it needs further 'upgrading'. They seem to be rules that people use but they have never reached mass market penetration.

Hi,
That's very true about mass market penetration. PBI II is two versions ago (2000), the previous version (2006) had a green cover with British troops sheltering behind a tank and a couple of "in game" photos there's a photo here: http://40somethingwargamer.blogspot.com/2006/09/pbi-ww2-rules.html, I've seen this version on eBay for around £15, the latest update is to simplify a couple of mechanisms which has already been done in the sister game Bayonets and Ideology (Spanish Civil War) which was updated more recently. Peter Pig RFCM don't update their rules very frequently PBI was last published in 2015, the talk of a new version only came about as a co-operative or solo play version was being play tested and that led to a review of current mechanisms. The solo version is on hold due to the covid situation.

Best wishes,
Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.