Sharpe in the Peninsular

Started by fred., 17 May 2020, 09:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

I'm not a Napoleonic gamer (one of the few periods I've avoided)

But with the new not-kickstarter, I wondering about dipping a toe in.

Rules wise I thinking something like Rebels and Patriots which I have (or perhaps Sharpe Practice) for both units are about 12 figures, with around 4-6 units on a side.

So what would be good figure to use? British and French I suppose as the core, and Portuguese and Spanish too.  I assume French from the 1809 range, but which ones?

Thanks in advance!

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ace of Spades

I think it will depend mostly on what you want to play; some generic fighting/skirmishing or would you like to recreate some historical battles? In the last case the OOB's should be a good guide. If youre doing something more fictional the period might be a thing to consider (1808 or 1814 for example) which would/could prescribe what allies you can use.
You want to use cavalry and artillery too?
I'm not an expert on the subject but I have been reading up on it and especially the uniforms. still deciding on what specific battle or year I want to get in myself...

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

It would be low level skirmishes.

Kind of like the Sharpe TV series and books.

I'm not sure when. I really know very little. But some brace redcoats with some wiley green rifles against the dastardly French is the starting place!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Steve J

Personally I'd go with whatever figures grab your fancy. In this theatre both sides uniforms deteriorated quickly, becoming a real mish mash of styles etc. As long as they look 'vaguely' French, I'd think you'd be OK. Heresy for some I know but, it works for me.

notmatthew

How do folks find Sharpe's Practice plays at 10mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fred.

I've not played Sharpe Practice. But both Lion Rampant and The Men Who Would be Kings work well in 10mm - and I was thinking of Rebels and Patriots as the starting point - I'm quite drawn to the 1-2-3 basing style - which feels a lot more practical than a load of single based 10mm figures.

fsn

Quote from: fred. on 17 May 2020, 09:58:49 PM

... units are about 12 figures, with around 4-6 units on a side.

OK.

Sharpe, when not fighting at Talavera or Salamanca gets involved in battalion level actions. Therefore, could 1 "unit" be a company?

If you go for infantry units of 10, then one pack would get you three units - as long as you don't want all those silly flags and things.

If it were me, I'd go for a pack of riflemen (NBP9), plus one of Portuguese Cacadores (NPP6 or NPP7 to taste). Against them I'd go for two packs of French Voltigeurs. you could get funky and paint some of those as Swiss in natty red coats.

But that's just me.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Ta Nobby. That's the kind of steer I'm looking for.

I suspect the rules are kind of 1:1 scale, but are probably high enough level it's not too important if each figure is 1 man or a few.

What about gee gees or artillery?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

If it's any help the weekend we are planning is based around forces from one box of Warlord, Valiant, or Perrys plastics. Roughly 30-50 figures.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

Quote from: fred. on 18 May 2020, 01:24:05 PM
What about gee gees or artillery?
Oooh!  OK.

For the British, I would go light dragoons (NBP13). They're not glamorous, but they are quit numerous in the Peninsula. If you want a bit more upmarket, I'd suggest some Hussars (NPB14), which I would paint as KGL Hussars. Portuguese cavalry was not numerous ... and not terribly effective.

For the French, I'd oppose with Dragoons. Plenty of 'em in the Peninsula. You could also use Chasseurs or Hussars, but IMHO that's a bit flash. If you want to be exotic, there's the Vistula Lancers.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

As for artillery, I'd go Horse Artillery every time. However, one pack is 3 guns, and that seems a lot of firepower against 2 packs of infantry.

Thinking about, it, you could have a French army with no Frenchmen in it at all. Confederation of the Rhine,. Italians (in white) or the Irish Regiment (in lovely Green)
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Thanks that is really useful - I was thinking Dragoons for the French the helmets looked familiar from the tele...

I take it at this time Dragoons were pure cavalry, they weren't mounted infantry as they were earlier?

Yes, 3 guns is a bit much - might be doing some custom orders.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Dragoons by this period were shock cavalry. Dismounting was still done, but mainly for sneaky scouting, but the cavalry carbines had such atrocious range it was easier to be heavy cavalry. 
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

WeeWars

If you're thinking Sharpe Practice, I would jump in with lots of infantry and hold back on cavalry and guns.

You'll want your regulars in 8s for close order, your open order in 6s, and irregulars in 10s. I strongly recommend sabots - I've sold simply tons for Sharpe Practice (but for 28mm and 15mm). For 10mm, I'd suggest perhaps pennies but with multiple figures (counting as one model) instead of one per base. Works well for skirmish pairs.

Gun crews are in 5s (not the Pendraken 4).

I'd certainly recommend getting some of the new guerrillas (in 10s).
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Quote from: fsn on 18 May 2020, 08:50:56 PM
For the British, I would go light dragoons (NBP13). They're not glamorous, but they are quit numerous in the Peninsula. If you want a bit more upmarket, I'd suggest some Hussars (NPB14), which I would paint as KGL Hussars. Portuguese cavalry was not numerous ... and not terribly effective.

My understanding is that the KGL Hussars wore the light dragoons (NBP13) uniform in the Peninsular, but that's from memory
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Last Hussar

For P&R You could go 2-3 figs on a 2p but treat it as one figure.  I've long said WH40k makes more sense this way.

SP 1st ed they suggest the bog standard line in 4s, with personalities etc singly based.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry