Armoured Train

Started by chrishanley, 17 May 2020, 02:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

There are some free 3d files available at Thinginverse for a Polish Armoured Train

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2479748

It's in 1/87 so some of the detail would need to be coarsened for 1/150 but it looks printable.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Orcs

Yes that looks doable. will have to look into getting it printed.

Thanks Grumpy
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leon

If there's any 3D files on Thingiverse that come with commercial licenses, we'd be interested in that approach.  We can then get them printed up by someone and look at putting them into a resin mould I'd think.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Dannyboy

Would be interested if this were to go ahead, could we sort of do a mini non kick starter for this one?

Orcs

The Thinguniverse link also shows a a generic flat car, that would be really useful as well
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Dannyboy

Leon, what sort of finance and interest would you be needing to make this happen as it were speculatively of course, at some stage in the future?

Dannyboy

Would like to do the Battle of Mokra 1939, and it's a really important feature, Poles were still keen on the armoured train concept in 39, probably mostly through necessity of using what they had....but hey they look cool on the table right!

Leon

Quote from: Dannyboy on 24 May 2020, 05:32:17 PM
Leon, what sort of finance and interest would you be needing to make this happen as it were speculatively of course, at some stage in the future?

I wouldn't know where to start with costings at the moment, I've not looked into it enough.  We'd have an initial small burst of sales but once those are done I don't think I could see it selling double figures per year going forward.  We've got some options so we'll have a chat and see what we can do.  It wouldn't be anything quick though, as we've got so much going on already.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: Leon on 24 May 2020, 12:10:15 AM
If there's any 3D files on Thingiverse that come with commercial licenses, we'd be interested in that approach.  We can then get them printed up by someone and look at putting them into a resin mould I'd think.

Aye there's the rub, getting the commercial licence, most sites come with Royalty Free Licence that specifically knock out moulding and reproduction. Both Cgtrader and Turbosquid have these licences. Example https://www.cgtrader.com/pages/terms-and-conditions#general-terms-of-licensing https://blog.turbosquid.com/royalty-free-license/

Maybe you can contact the 3d artists to see what you can arrange.

If people are keen there's a train available on Shapeways that Carlos Briz used:-

https://www.shapeways.com/product/6DDJNAJWJ/1-144th-scale-armoured-steam-locomotive?optionId=65081587&li=marketplace

it's around 11 to 15 quid per locomotive/carriage.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Leon

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 25 May 2020, 12:17:16 AM
Aye there's the rub, getting the commercial licence, most sites come with Royalty Free Licence that specifically knock out moulding and reproduction. Both Cgtrader and Turbosquid have these licences. Example https://www.cgtrader.com/pages/terms-and-conditions#general-terms-of-licensing https://blog.turbosquid.com/royalty-free-license/

Maybe you can contact the 3d artists to see what you can arrange.

As you say, that's the tricky bit.  We've actually teamed up with a chap in Canada recently, to be our '3D guy', so he's going to start supplying us with some designs of his own as well as sourcing other existing designs for us.  With all of the Covid stuff kicking off we've not been able to make much progress sadly but it is something we'll be getting back to very soon.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

yes, the 3d path is one worth travelling, It takes a fair amount of work to set up initially but once you're going it's very easy to set up variations, changes in weapons etc. At the moment I'm playing around with various 3d programs and have made a start on a test piece piece but it definitely needs more work (apart from a head :) ), attached below

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Dannyboy

Thanks for the link, if Pendraken were to follow the route and create their own model I'd obviously support it wholeheartedly, however can understand your reservations Leon, in which case the Shapeways  1/144 model is a great plan B, i'd looked on Shapeways but somehow missed this so a great find, thank you, will be ideal.

Sunray

Quote from: Dannyboy on 25 May 2020, 02:34:00 PM
Thanks for the link, if Pendraken were to follow the route and create their own model I'd obviously support it wholeheartedly, however can understand your reservations Leon, in which case the Shapeways  1/144 model is a great plan B, i'd looked on Shapeways but somehow missed this so a great find, thank you, will be ideal.

Welcome to the talents of Victor aka Grumpy Old Man.  If we were all POWs in a camp, Victor would be the Scrounger King.

Tell him what you are looking for and he will source it.  :)

Dannyboy

I'm looking up James Garner's agent for casting the movie now....... (Everyone remembers Steve McQueen's "Hiltz the cooler King", in the Great Escape but for me it was always James Garner's movie as the fixer)

fsn

C'mon chaps!

Frank Sinatra in von Ryan's Express - surely!

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!