Armoured Train

Started by chrishanley, 17 May 2020, 02:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrishanley

In 2018 there was talk of a WWII era armoured train getting added to the range. At the time Leon thought it was "on the back burner". As I have found reference to an interesting engagement during operation Barbarossa, I am wondering if this item has built up a head of steam, or has it regretfully slipped down the back of the cooker? 

Orcs

Quote from: chrishanley on 17 May 2020, 02:15:02 PM
In 2018 there was talk of a WWII era armoured train getting added to the range. At the time Leon thought it was "on the back burner". As I have found reference to an interesting engagement during operation Barbarossa, I am wondering if this item has built up a head of steam, or has it regretfully slipped down the back of the cooker? 

I keep pluging for this as well.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leon

It's still something that we'd like to do but it's not a priority at the moment I'm afraid.  It's one of those 'high costs vs low sales' items that we can only squeeze in when there's a suitable gap.  Mart's got the plans for it (thanks Orcs!) so he might be able to get on to it once he's finished up the current list of MBT's and trucks.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

chrishanley

Thankyou Leon for the swift response as ever. I do understand that an armoured train would not be the fastest moving item in the Pendraken cataloge and much more financially sensible projects have priority. Nevertheless, we will wait with baited breath and eager anticipation...   

Orcs

I would be willing to pay a premium for an item that may be slow selling.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

See if you can scratch it. Try railway shops, there must be a gauge that fits with 10mm.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

N gauge is the model railway scale.

I wonder if some kind of conversion kit could be offered, rather than a whole train?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Orcs

Quote from: ianrs54 on 18 May 2020, 07:47:02 AM
See if you can scratch it. Try railway shops, there must be a gauge that fits with 10mm.

N gauge fits in with 10mm. it would cost more to use "real"railway stuff than commission the master. Scratch building is not me forte. you can get them on Shapeways, but again the cost is prohibitive.

Orcs

Quote from: fred. on 18 May 2020, 08:13:05 AM
N gauge is the model railway scale.

I wonder if some kind of conversion kit could be offered, rather than a whole train?

To do a conversion you would have to specify the base model. A loco on ebay is £50 and  standard wagons are  £10-20 each. You could try and get one of the Dapole trains to armour, but the problem is the wagons.
Shapeways the train is around £25. The wagons are then around £15-20. I priced it up a while ago and a Loco, Flak car, Gun Car , flat wagon and assault car came in at around £100.

Currently I just use a 6mm irregular miniatures one.

If one was produced it could be fairly generic. The poles had one that was captured by the Germans , used against the Russians, who then captured it and used it against the Germans.

fred.

Didn't know they were so expensive. I picked up a couple of Dalpol engines a few years back, and certainly didn't pay that much.

Those prices give Leon some price points to aim for at least!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Big Insect

Children's toy Thomas the Tank Engine sets are a good bet for 15mm - it requires you to be brutal and carve off the faces on the front of the boiler but generally they fit very well and have a nice range of trucks and flat-bed cars. But they are probably only ok for British Colonial games or for improvised train - but you'll need to do the conversion work.

There is of course the BKCIV armoured train PDF supplement for those interesting in giving it a go.

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Ithoriel

Del Prado N Gauge locomotives go for under a tenner plus postage on EBay. They don't run, of course, but presumably that's not a problem? 
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

For the wagons you just need the bogies, and most fanatical railway modelers will have some from scraped wagons. I made my 20mm train from card, with scrounged bogies and weapons. Engines - delprado. Except the diesel which is a Dapol kit. 
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Quote from: ianrs54 on 18 May 2020, 10:47:13 AM
For the wagons you just need the bogies, and most fanatical railway modelers will have some from scraped wagons. I made my 20mm train from card, with scrounged bogies and weapons. Engines - delprado. Except the diesel which is a Dapol kit. 
The problem is doing it 10mm is far more fiddly and my scratch building skills are not up to it.

Sunray

I know they come from the wrong war and are on the small side, but I have refreshed Carlos Briz's magic with Pendraken BW27, 28 and 32.  See photo thread.

Replacement WW2 tank, AAA  and Armoured Car turrets  and you have a "small but perfectly formed armoured train"?  :)

Leon has wanted to "refresh" this range. Perhaps the armoured  engine could be stretched and modernised to a generic WW2 look?