New Napoleonic French Generals and ADCs

Started by WeeWars, 16 May 2020, 03:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeeWars

16 May 2020, 03:08:47 PM Last Edit: 16 May 2020, 03:10:23 PM by WeeWars
Figure 1 : Hussar ADC / Hussar Officer

Tony has easy reference for French ADCs in the Funcken books that he has. Part 1, page 11 no.1 and page 19 no.3 are fairly identical except that it is essential that as a hussar he has a sabretache. The animal skin saddle cloth is also perfect for a hussar officer - and avoids getting it wrong by including a valise. As an ADC his sword should be in his scabbard.

The French colpack busby is not the British design. It should be large - extra wide, almost square.

ADC horses should have the light horse bridal.

Figure 2 : ADC

A French ADC in bicorne, fore and aft. Importantly, this ADC has the ADC's identifier: a brassard. I would look at Funcken Part 1, page 19 no.6 & 7 rather than the earlier examples as these later ones cover a longer period. They both have pointed saddle cloths. There are interesting differences in the two uniforms, one with vest showing, but importantly they share the one fringed epaulette on the left shoulder, scale on the other. Shoulder belt over left shoulder.

Figure 3 : French General variant 1

It's probably best to avoid Funcken as a reference for French generals.

This general in this pose. No map, no telescope, no drawn sword. Hat waving at arm's length is not terrible as it allows for ease of converting. A right arm that can be converted would be a real plus - there were a lot of generals in the French army! But a hand on hip is typical - sitting back with 'authority'. As is leaning forward in the saddle as if things are really kicking off.

Note embellishments to bridle.

Generals don't have the shoulder sash, the marshal's baton, and the 'under-arm' gilt of a marshal. A marshal is hardly ever depicted without his red sash. Neither Tony's Ney nor his Davout have these distinctions, making them useful, perhaps, for French general conversion.

Figure 4 : French General variant 2

This general in this pose. Note the fringe on the bicorne, the differences in the gilt on the jacket.

Note that the hat should be as tall and as characterful as it is in these depictions. All the French staff should be distinguished with BIG hats. Have fun with the green stuff, Tony! As I did here:

http://www.michaelscott.name/1809/blog2015/1809blogpost174

Cheers, Michael

← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

monkeynut

Hi Michael,
                 Just wanted to say it was looking at your 1809 blog that stirred my interest in 10mm figures, great ideas and information provided .wish my painting and conversion skills were anywhere near yours. Keep sharing your thoughts and giving inspiration to us novices.

🐵

WeeWars

Hi there!

That's really good to hear!

I'll be starting up the 1809 Journal once more very soon as 10mm 1809 has managed to keep me sane during the last few weeks of lockdown.

Cheers, Michael

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

WeeWars

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

WeeWars

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Need to know who is Hungarian and who is German in an ornate...

WeeWars

Your connection is breaking up, I didn't catch the ending.

All I can say is that I listed the Austrian line infantry regiments with their country/region of origin.

www.michaelscott.name/1809/knapsack/1809austrian-lineinf.htm

Duke Speedy of Leighton

DHautpol

Michael

I have to say that the remodelled hat shown on your blog has completely transformed that figure, it captures totally the feel of generals shown in the prints.  The poses of the generals in those prints are exactly what I look for in my generals; Minifigs used to do one just like that in their old 15mm range but haven't seen one for years.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

Thanks! The French really went to town with the size of their hats. I can't understand why any sculptor wouldn't want to have a field day with the green stuff! There's a real difference in style between the tight British busby and the grand French colpack, for example. Same goes for the gigantic bicornes of the Saxon heavy cavalry that I tried to 'get enlarged'. I'm afraid I just can't stop myself being more generous with the green stuff! Although a first attempt here went flat.

www.michaelscott.name/1809/1809blogpost132.htm

You can see in Sir John Moore's actual hat that even the British staff had big hats (note for the new British general sculpts). When sculpting, the thing not to miss is that the bottom of the hat is not flat.