BKC iv

Started by flamingpig0, 15 May 2020, 08:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamingpig0

What would people suggest would be the appropriate number of HQs for a thousand point BKC iv game of 1000 points?
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Steve J

It would depend upon what year and what force. For example a 1941 Russian army would have way more troops under command points wise compared with a 1944/45 German armour heavy force. As a broad guide I allocate 2 HQ's per infantry battalion with integral support, but then I tend to ignore points or at best use them as a guide. Hope this helps?

Big Insect

I would agree with Steve
The composition of your army tends to dictate the number of HQs - but using historical ORBATs is also a helpful guide.
In a relatively small game (e.g. 1000pts or less) it helps to think how you want to operate your force. If it is infantry heavy and you intend to split the infantry in two - then a couple of HQs is a good start. But if you have support units - Anti-tank guns or a HMG section - you might need an HQ to command them. Mortars are independent units so command distance is irrelevant to them and you can allocate them to an HQ that is not near to their deployed position.

One common mistake players can make is to have a lot of HQs and leave nothing for you CO to command. In a bigger game that is OK as he can pick up units where the HQ has failed their initial command roll. But in smaller games the CO is very often the best commander you have got - so using him to command the bulk of your troops is not a bad move.

For an armour 'heavy' formation it is often easier, as your tanks tend to divide up into platoons and as they are so much more expensive (usually) than infantry units - your HQs have less to command so you need fewer of them.

What forces were you thinking about applying this to?

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

flamingpig0

Quote from: Big Insect on 15 May 2020, 09:42:51 PMe

What forces were you thinking about applying this to?

Mark

At this point in time  Barbarossa Germans and Soviets
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Big Insect

Well - lots of armour there so I'd suggest you start with the following:

Germans
1 x CO
2 x HQ
1 x FAO
2 x Recce

Soviets
1 x CO
3 x HQ
1 x FAO
2 x Recce (one armoured - one infantry scouts)

The Germans will be a lot more expensive as generally they are higher CVs - they are usually also Flexible Tac.Doc so again you'll find you can command your units with greater certainty.
The Soviets, with Ridgid Tac.doc. are a lot cheaper and have a much smaller span of control.

I'm assuming that you are going for a mixed game (infantry & armour & some off-table guns?).
As a general rule I would try not to spend more than 1/4 - 1/3rd of your points on Command - but that is hard in a small game. But Soviet HQ's on Cv7 are cheap!

Hope that helps? I'd be interested to see/review your starter lists if you are happy to post them here?
Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Zypheria

I usually use 2 HQ and the CO for games between 1000 and 1500 points, so I can split my forces in 3 operational groups, HQs to control bot flanks and the CO the center of the battlefield, so if a HQ miss a roll I can still be in command distance with the CO without incurring in a hight penalty roll.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

At least 1 HQ per btn, 2 or 3 if its a well commanded force.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021