Custom decal query

Started by Wulf, 14 May 2020, 05:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

I wonder if anyone here can assist me getting made some custom decals. I'd like some slogans for the sides of Russian tanks, scaled to both 1:150 and 1:100, translated into the Cyrillic alphabet, with the upper & lower lines curved to create a partial circle, this text:

Stay Home
Protect the NHS
   Save Lives

Preferably in white, which I can't do.

Leon

I've not been able to find custom decal suppliers for a long time now, the printing in white ink being the main problem.  There's some options for bulk production, but you'd be looking at 1000's to make it viable!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fred.

I've cheated with white decals in the past, by leaving the white bits clear, and painting the background white, before attaching the decal. Works better with ones which are white writing on a background colour.

For this idea you would need to print the main body of the logo in the right dark green to match the tank - which would be hard...
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

hammurabi70

Quote from: Wulf on 14 May 2020, 05:12:28 PM
I wonder if anyone here can assist me getting made some custom decals. I'd like some slogans for the sides of Russian tanks, scaled to both 1:150 and 1:100, translated into the Cyrillic alphabet, with the upper & lower lines curved to create a partial circle, this text:

Stay Home
Protect the NHS
   Save Lives

Preferably in white, which I can't do.

You might try putting do your own decals into google and seeing what results.

Terry37

I had an excellent source for custom decals, but he got so many requests he couldn't keep up with it, so I am sorry to say he no longer does it!!! I have some slogans for Russian tanks, but believe they are for 15 MM models I think. If you think they might work I am happy to share some of them with you.

If you are concerned about the clear area of the decal showing up, spray a gloss coat first and then apply the decals. When dry hit it with a flat coat and the clear part of the decal does not show.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Wulf

Quote from: Terry37 on 14 May 2020, 05:57:59 PM
I had an excellent source for custom decals, but he got so many requests he couldn't keep up with it, so I am sorry to say he no longer does it!!! I have some slogans for Russian tanks, but believe they are for 15 MM models I think. If you think they might work I am happy to share some of them with you.
Well, I am looking for 15mm scale slogans, certainly, but it was while looking at the available options I thought of this specific idea. But I do realise it's a pretty niche market...

Last Hussar

You can buy printer decal paper on ebay. Not sure how to do white other than doing the outline and painting the background white.  I'll try using white ink and paint pens on an offcut and let you know if it survives the water.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

You can get white decal paper so just draw a fine outline of the total decal and cut around that edge.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142361745343?

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Orcs

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 15 May 2020, 06:00:58 AM
Hello

You can get white decal paper so just draw a fine outline of the total decal and cut around that edge.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142361745343?

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Be a good idea if you could get someone to buy in with you. Its £3.49 a sheet or 10 for £15.

Perhaps Leon could look at stocking this?
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ace of Spades

Black Lion in the Netherlands say they print on demand. I fear they're not cheap though but couldn't tell you for sure since I never had any replies to my questions... that says enough I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Wulf

Thanks all, I'll back burner this idea for now - it'll probably be irrelevant by the time I get back to it...