Intro

Started by monkeynut, 14 May 2020, 01:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeynut

Hi all,
        Like a lot of people my age I started in the early 70's when my military mad dad bought me Airfix kits/ soldiers ( for me or him is debatable)which has led to a life long obsession .Been collecting models/figures ever since in numerous periods and scales inc WW2,SYW,AWI but always returning to Napoleonics.
Did my time as a real soldier (monkey- only real "red berets") then 25 years in "nick" Now semi retired and doing all the jobs I've promised the wife I would complete in between painting figures.
Love Pendraken figures, well sculpted, priced and a fantastic service.
That's me in a nut shell.

🐵

mmcv

:-h hello and welcome to the nuthouse, you'll feel right at home!

Ithoriel

Hi monkeynut, welcome to the forum.

Have to agree with your assessment of Pendraken.

AS to scales and periods I do anything from 2mm to 32mm but only one period .... 250,000BC to 250,000AD :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Hello and welcome.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

Hello and welcome to the Forum!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

Welcome on board :).

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Hi Monkeynut, welcome to the forum.

You name remind me of a funny if embarrassing moment at work 28 or so years ago.

At the time I worked in an office in Euston tower, London. The desks were two wide and two pairs with a walkway in between made up a pod. The pods were diveded with 4 foot screens .  One of my colleagues  lent across and offered me some peanuts in their shells. At the time they were branded "Monkey Nuts".  I took some and he said pass them on.

I turned to the next pod and as I did so said "would any of you monkeys like some nuts?". The pod was not occupied by its usual occupants but by two of my Black Colleagues having a chat!!!!.

Fortunately for me they both collapsed in laughter at the look of absolute dismay on my face.  Fortunately they were good friends and realized that no malice was intended, knowing it was just a play on words.  Some 20 years later I bumped into the lady at our office in Hemel  Hempstead and she delighted in recounting the episode to the colleague who was with her.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

monkeynut

Thanks for the warm welcome much appreciated

🐵

monkeynut

My wife has read my introduction and has pointed out , it reads as if I've spent 25 years in Prison (no I'm not a psycho mass murderer or committed a serious crime!) I served as an Prison Officer after my time in the army as a Military Police Officer.
Sorry  if it caused any confusion.I'm not that interesting.

🐵

Techno

I think I've said 'hello' already. ;)

But I'll do a proper 'Wotcha'  :-h.......Just in case !  :)

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

I was going to ask which side of the bars you were on as it were ;) :D.

Ithoriel

Quote from: monkeynut on 17 May 2020, 07:48:26 AM
My wife has read my introduction and has pointed out , it reads as if I've spent 25 years in Prison (no I'm not a psycho mass murderer or committed a serious crime!) I served as an Prison Officer after my time in the army as a Military Police Officer.
Sorry  if it caused any confusion.I'm not that interesting.

🐵

I was a librarian in an earlier life and, as IT guy for the local public library authority, worked to set up a computer system for the local prison library and have similarly caused a ripple of confusion by prefacing a story with,"when I was in prison...."

Perhaps as a result, I read your message as intended.

Perhaps I should have welcomed you initially with my usual welcome message - "The Pendraken forum is by turns warm, welcoming, well-intentioned, well read, willing to help and .... well weird!" :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Welcome  :-h

I read your introduction as you intended, that your wife did not is 'interesting' ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dave Fielder

Welcome Mr Monkeynut, enjoy your stay. This forum can be like military DQs: "unexpectedly progressive, busy and you are a better person on the other side".
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis