Hundred Years War - DBA

Started by paulr, 14 May 2020, 09:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Have fun at the wargames show and try to take some pics if you can.

DecemDave

Correction to my previous post.  The Alencons were captured not killed at Verneuil.

PaulR - while researching the earlier period, did you come across any sources that might cover  later HYW Spanish ?  I'm currently looking at some of the primary chronicles and their presence is acknowledged but no details at all except important ones that got killed!  [Guillaume II, viscount of Narbonne and ex-"King" of Arborea]

paulr

Quote from: DecemDave on 01 July 2021, 09:00:45 PM
PaulR - while researching the earlier period, did you come across any sources that might cover  later HYW Spanish ?  I'm currently looking at some of the primary chronicles and their presence is acknowledged but no details at all except important ones that got killed!  [Guillaume II, viscount of Narbonne and ex-"King" of Arborea]

Short answer: no

Longer answer: I haven't done that much research but did consider IV/68d Castilian Army, IV/68a Portuguese & IV/68c Aragonese instead of the Free Companies and found very little on them during my limited research
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

I've returned for my week long holiday despite an interesting encounter in Christchurch

Adjusting to being on nights has slowed my painting :(

Quote from: Steve J on 01 July 2021, 06:38:04 AM
Have fun at the wargames show and try to take some pics if you can.

Call to Arms is held in a school hall, a panorama of the whole event

There was one trader this year who also ran a demonstration game

The bring and buy was about as busy as usual

This 'old school' demonstration game particularly caught my eye

And you can just see our 6mm Spearhead game in the top right corner, a very enjoyable game and interesting scenario :)
Thanks for organising it Pierre the Shy

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

Thanks for the photos and my son would have loved to have seen those Daleks in the flesh so to speak. Great to see the show was able to go ahead, which gives all some hope going forward. I hope you all enjoyed the show.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno II

Excellent !

Cheers - Phil. :)

DecemDave

Shows!  I remember those.   :D

Seriously having to tell myself not to even think about starting 40mm skirmish games.   

fsn

Quote from: DecemDave on 14 July 2021, 08:30:35 AM
Shows!  I remember those.   :D

Something from the BeforeTime.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Raider4

Good to see a real-life show taking place again, but that bring 'n' buy looks seriously empty. The last time I saw one there was a 5-deep scrum at the tables.

fred.

Quote from: Raider4 on 14 July 2021, 07:12:28 PM
Good to see a real-life show taking place again, but that bring 'n' buy looks seriously empty. The last time I saw one there was a 5-deep scrum at the tables.

That is what I thought too! Couldn't tell if the caption was serious or sarcastic!

Great to see gamers out getting in games. The NZ hobby scene seems to be a bit younger than the UK one. Also interesting to see that the show seems to have far more games than traders, at most UK ones traders predominate, rather than games.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

pierre the shy

Quote from: fred. on 14 July 2021, 07:49:35 PM

Great to see gamers out getting in games. The NZ hobby scene seems to be a bit younger than the UK one. Also interesting to see that the show seems to have far more games than traders, at most UK ones traders predominate, rather than games.

Conventions in NZ have always tended to be more games/competition orientated in NZ as we simply don't have the same number of wargaming related traders/manufacturers here in NZ that are based in the UK. We're lucky to get two trade stands at Call to Arms. One local trader was supposed to be coming to CTA but ran into stock supply issues so decided not to attend this year at the last moment. The whole supply chain here has long lead times due to COVID and shipping availablility issues......Mrs Shy is very happy as we finally got the kitchen cupboard that we ordered over 6 months ago  :o   
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Quote from: Raider4 on 14 July 2021, 07:12:28 PM

Quote from: fred. on 14 July 2021, 07:49:35 PM
That is what I thought too! Couldn't tell if the caption was serious or sarcastic!

The caption was serious, our bring and buys seem to be a lot less frenetic than in the UK.

As Pierre the Shy mentioned our events tend to be more games/competition oriented so most of the punters for the Bring and Buy are there all weekend so no great rush

paulr

I managed to get a chance to do some more painting :)

Third and fourth colours added to clothing that needed them :)

The few hats done :)

Wood done :)