Hundred Years War - DBA

Started by paulr, 14 May 2020, 09:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Quote from: Techno II on 13 December 2020, 08:35:33 AM
However....If you've got any of the 'glossy' magazine inserts*, that come with the weekend papers....You might be able to tell if it's still too 'foggy' ?

Other types of glossy magazines are available, though I'd like to hear you explain to the wife why the pages of her copy of Cosmo is stuck together. 

I use a base. Paint it in the predominant colour of the figures I'm painting). Mask half of it. Varnish the other.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Where spray can varnish has fogged  (three times in a couple of decades iiirc) I've always used brush on varnish to rescue it on the adage that doing the same thing and expecting a different result is the route to madness.

Brush the labels (only) by hand and see?

Of course, 3 times is hardly a large sample size.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a look at getting some brush on varnish and trying that on the labels once we get some good weather

Good progress on the current batch of French :)

Commoners clothing done :)

All wood done :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

More progress on the current batch :)

Manes, tails, hooves & markings done on the horses :)

Hats and leather done :)

Various dry brushing on the artillery 'extras' :)

I might make some more progress this evening :!!

I need to start sorting out and preparing the next batch

Do I start on the second French army (banners and colours all sorted) or do I start on the Low Countries (some research done but not finalised) :-\

Steve J

I'd go for the Low Countries Paul to have something different to paint and game with.

John Cook

The trouble with matt sprays is that particles can dry before they hit the surface they are supposed to treat.  These dried particles of matt varnish are left on the surface, while the rest are absorbed, causing the fogging which increases depending on how absorbent the surface is. 
This happens when the nozzle is too far away from the subject relative to conditions – too hot, too dry or too humid etc.  The trouble is there is no way of knowing what the correct distance is. 
A solution, if you are going to use spray varnish, is to seal the object first, reducing the surface's absorbent properties, with either a painted gloss varnish or PVA glue thinned with water.
Fogging is usually not the end of the world and can usually be rectified.  What you need to do is to dissolve the dried varnish particles on the surface of the object, which can be done by brushing on a coat of gloss varnish, allowing it to dry, and then re-applying the matt finish.
My solution to this problem is not to use spray varnishes at all.

paulr

Thanks Steve, I was thinking the Low Countries would be a change given I stalled on the French

Thanks John for the detailed explanation, good to know what is going on

Steve J

Fogging (or blooming as we used to call it at work) can also be caused by moisture trapped by the lacquer as it dries. As mentioned, another coat when the conditions were drier often solved the problem. This is one reason I use Vallejo matt lacquer painted on, rather than spraying it.

John Cook

Quote from: Steve J on 27 December 2020, 09:47:55 PM
Fogging (or blooming as we used to call it at work) can also be caused by moisture trapped by the lacquer as it dries. As mentioned, another coat when the conditions were drier often solved the problem. This is one reason I use Vallejo matt lacquer painted on, rather than spraying it.

Yes, humidity is often the most common culprit.  You can get a similar problem with aerosol spray paint when you get a rough finish on the dried surface.  I agree, using a paint on matt finish is safer and better.  I too use Vallejo matt varnish these days.

paulr

I've finally finished painting this batch of French #:-S

Touch ups, wash, final dry brush, figure bases & basing left to do :!!

I've started preparing the first batch of the Low Counties army, Pike - thousands of them, 64 actually ;)

paulr

Touch ups done :)

Wash tomorrow once they are properly dry :-w

Finished preparing the rest of the Low Countries army :)

Not many optional elements so only 16 in total compared to 36 for the French #:-S

paulr

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Biological or non-biological?  :D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Most of the Low Countries pike on painting rods, the rest will have to wait until the French are sorted for basing tomorrow, not sure if all the army will fit as one batch :-\

Bases for the French labeled :)

First side done on Low Countries bases :)

paulr

Final dry brush done on the French and figure bases done :) :)

Second side done on Low Countries bases :)