Hundred Years War - DBA

Started by paulr, 14 May 2020, 09:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Being in the office 5 days a week combined with the run up to the Christmas 'silly' season has limited progress on the current batch of French :!!

The weather and my schedule have finally combined to allow me to take some pictures of the last batch of French

Communal militia

Genoese crossbowmen

French crossbowmen

Peasant levy, Breton javelinmen, Spanish crossbowmen   

Jaquerie

Pavisiers - Béthune, Saint-Omer, Hesdin

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Painted & Based
581 Foot
   74 Mounted
     3 Models
658 Total

Techno II

Cracking work, Paul ! :-bd

Cheers - Phil :)

Steve J

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: paulr on 29 November 2020, 02:51:33 AM
Painted & Based
581 Foot
   74 Mounted
     3 Models
658 Total

Isn't DBA for SMALL armies ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

Those are great Paul, I like what you have done with the peasants, I will remember to look back at these when I start my Japanese ones.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

pierre the shy

29 November 2020, 05:43:45 PM #337 Last Edit: 29 November 2020, 05:46:58 PM by pierre the shy
Quote from: ianrs54 on 29 November 2020, 03:52:36 PM
Isn't DBA for SMALL armies ?

Correct, DBA armies are all limited to 12 elements per army. But Big battle DBA has up to 3 armies per side, so getting up to 658 figures isn't that hard, especailly as you can double the number of figures per base in 10mm on some bases (normally in 15/28mm scale there are 4 spear or 4 crossbows per base).

Paul likes to think big, but on a small scale  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Norm

Lovely job and a prolific output.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Finally got a chance to make some more progress :)

Clothing done on Scots men-at-arms and detached "gross varlets"  :)

I also tested Vallejo Acrylic Matt Varnish on an element of peasant levy, the 'local' game store has been unable to get stocks of Testors Dullcote :-SS
Unfortunately just after I sprayed them it clouded over, there was some slight fogging on the figures which dried clear #:-S :-\
However there was significant fogging on the printed label at the back of the base. I remembered some advice, I think it was on here, and gave the label a second spray. This reduced but did not eliminate the fogging :(
I'm going to have to wait for a calm sunny day to do another test before I commit to spraying a whole army :-w :-SS

paulr

Fined up this afternoon so tested a second element, Jaquerie this time

Just checked and figures are fine but label badly fogged again, tried a second spray on the label and will see how it drys

Any thoughts/suggestions :-\
How long should I shake the new spray can...

paulr

The second spray on the label reduced but did not eliminate the fogging  :-/

Figures and flock are fine :)

Techno II

If I'm understanding correctly, Paul, (not taken as a given).....I don't think shaking the can even more will make much difference.
It sounds as though there's a bit too much 'medium' in with the varnish itself.....The more you shake the can the more medium is going to get mixed in.

Only tip I've got, is what I used to do to test a new can of varnish.....Which was simply to spray a little over an old newspaper... for me, it was to test the print didn't go 'glossy'.

However....If you've got any of the 'glossy' magazine inserts*, that come with the weekend papers....You might be able to tell if it's still too 'foggy' ?

Cheers - Phil (* I'm assuming you get the same sort of inane crap that we do with our papers, over here. ;))

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner