Pendraken big gun- mounted on railway flat car?

Started by Sunray, 13 May 2020, 11:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Some years ago I purchased a number of these guns (5" ?) naval type .  I believe they may have been on a railway flat car.

Is it still available and what is its code?

I am scratch building a shore battery.

Sunray

Ah - found it!  BW34 "Flatbed waggon with 6" gun"  :)

Useful piece of kit for any shore mounting.

Leon

Yep, it's an old model that one, I'm hoping to do some work on it further down the line to bring it up to scratch.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Sunray

Quote from: Leon on 13 May 2020, 02:48:34 PM
Yep, it's an old model that one, I'm hoping to do some work on it further down the line to bring it up to scratch.

Its still a good casting of a barrel/ breech and unique in 10mm.  I would give some thought to the mounting and cradle detail.

I will be mounting a few guns on shore battery bases - Anyscale Models resin and blodging down to 10mm.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello James

You could have a look at what Lentulus did for his Romanian shore battery using that gun - https://10mmpatrioticwar.blogspot.com/2011/10/some-new-bits-and-pieces.html

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Sunray

Thanks Vic.   As stated, the barrel and breech are excellent for a 20th century 6" gun.    I looked at the Prussian barbette - it would work for WW1 - see https://www.fortdunree.com   - a British fort built to protect the Lough Swilly anchorage for the Atlantic fleet.

By 1940s crewgun were afforded more protection by way of shields and partial turrets.

Sunray

Lovely story to the end of British occupation at Fort Dunree - it was handed back to the Irish was one of the "treaty ports".

3 October 1938.  Two contingents of men drawn up.  Royal Artillery garrison and the Irish Coastal Artillery Defence Force.  Sergeant O'Flynn of the Royal Artillery lowered the Union Flag for the last time, and Sergeant McLaughlin, ICADF, hoisted the Irish Tricolour.

They were brothers in law. 

Sure, it could only happen in Ireland.  :)