MDF Storage Box Dividers

Started by Heedless Horseman, 13 May 2020, 03:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

Does anyone know of a source for notched MDF strips to divide up shallow storage boxes? Had a look on ebay but nowt...maybe I was not using the right search criteria.
Maybe a product opportunity??  :)
Boxes can be of many depths/sizes but I was thinking of about 2.5cm depth. Strips maybe 30cm long...to cut to box size, Laser cut notches to half depth...in a range of spacings...eg: 2.5cm, 3.5cm...etc. So get a pack of strips with notches of X and a pack of Y or Z...fit together to form a lattice as per requirement....for however many boxes needed.
Other depths could be offered...for Pencil Tin,Pizza box or whatever,  ;)
There MUST be some such, somewhere...it's so basic...just did not find on a fairly brief look.
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Orcs

I think the issue here is the huge amout of varying sizes the box could be.

I would strongly recommend the 4L and 9L Really useful boxes. These ae physically the same size (A4), but the depth varies. The 4l is 70mm deep and the 9l 140mm deep.  you can then order MDF trays of varying depth from Walt of Commission figurines- see link below

Be aware the depth includes the 2mm base of the tray. Each tray comes with 2 cross pieces allowing you you to divide the box into thirds, or use one cross piece and divide into half.  I am sure if  you asked Walt nicely he would supply additional strips at a fair price.

http://www.commission-figurines.co.uk/
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

RUB (http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/traydetails.php) themselves do inserts which divide the 4L / 9L boxes up into sections - there are several different ones.

Warbases (https://warbases.co.uk/product-category/accessories/) do RUB inserts too. They don't do dividers but, if your figures are on round bases, they do trays like the one pictured below in a variety of hole sizes.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

Ask any MDF bases retailer/supplier nicely and they will probably make what you want 'to order' to whatever specifications you want.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

jimduncanuk

Can't see inserts like these being of any use.

Give the box a 'shoogle' and your miniatures will cascade around the box.

Anyone got some real like experience of them?
My Ego forbids a signature.

Ithoriel

I've got one of the Warbases inserts that I use with my chibi samurai - they've stayed in place even when bounced over "sleeping policemen" while sitting on the back seat of a car.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Heedless Horseman

Thanks Lads, However, I am looking to divide 'Shallow' boxes/tins of approx. depth 2.5-3cm, rather than the big x litre storage boxes. Reckon some pre-notched strips could be the biz.
The 1p / 2p base inserts could be useful...but the sheet would only fit a certain size of shallow box. For anyone thinking of using such for coin based figs,  make sure that you are basing on fairly 'new' 1p/2p copper jacketed steel coins...which can be attracted to a magnet. Drill the MDF insert, superglue in a micro magnet...and they shouldn't shift much. Loads of sizes/strengths of magnets about and not too costly compared to figures! You do have the problem of 'unsticking' the based figs without damage, though!   :'(
Ps: Using coins of the realm for bases is 'probably illegal',  :o , though, seeing as the mint 'adulterated' our old copper coinage with steel, (they did it first (!) ...the copper was worth more than the coin!), I cannot see Regan and Carter turning up!   ;D Sadly, the 1/2p is not magnetic...yes, there WAS a 1/2p!  ;D

DaveH

For the new 1p/2p coins you can use magnetic sheets in the bottom of the box to keep things in place.

Available from Coritani Magnetic Displays https://magneticdisplays.co.uk/magnetic-displays/ferro%20sheet

I have figures in old copier paper boxes with cardboard inserts to keep them in place. That is with 20mm soft plastics that are based on cardboard for DBA.

Scorpio_Rocks

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

Scorpio_Rocks

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 14 May 2020, 02:46:26 AM
Using coins of the realm for bases is 'probably illegal',  :o

My understanding is that it is only illegal to "deface a coin of the realm" - as long as you stick figures, etc to the "tails" side and leave her maj's smiling face alone you are good.
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

Orcs

Quote from: Scorpio_Rocks on 14 May 2020, 10:37:14 AM
My understanding is that it is only illegal to "deface a coin of the realm" - as long as you stick figures, etc to the "tails" side and leave her maj's smiling face alone you are good.

From the Royal mint website:-
Under Section 10 of the 1971 Coinage Act - No person shall, except under the authority of a licence granted by the Treasury, melt down or break up any metal coin which is for the time being current in the United Kingdom or which, having been current, has at any time after 16th May 1969 ceased to be so.

So its only illegal to destroy it.

I stick the figures to the side that looks like it will give the best "key" for the glue. As I am no fan of Royalty it does not bother me which side that is. :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Westmarcher

All of these alternative storage solutions are very interesting. But back to the question ...

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 13 May 2020, 03:35:07 AM
Does anyone know of a source for notched MDF strips to divide up shallow storage boxes? (to) ...fit together to form a lattice as per requirement....for however many boxes needed.

And the solution ...
Quote from: Westmarcher on 13 May 2020, 02:50:25 PM
Ask any MDF bases retailer/supplier nicely and they will probably make what you want 'to order' to whatever specifications you want.

So, I know it's only a day since you asked but have you contacted any yet? And if so, any positive responses?
(In my own experience, I've found Leon at Pendraken and also Warbases to be very accommodating)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Heedless Horseman

Quote from: Scorpio_Rocks on 14 May 2020, 10:37:14 AM

OF COURSE one only obliterates the 'Tails' side!  :o It also provides better adherence IMHO!  ;)

Have not seriously enquired of anyone, yet. Just threw up the idea. Hmm..Leon, feel free to jump in before it gets patented by GW or somebody ???   ;D

FierceKitty

Hmm, my use of coins in bases could get me into real trouble here; we take our royalty a lot more seriously than you folks do yours.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.