Spanish Flags for the Peninsular War

Started by TinyTinTroops, 10 May 2020, 07:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DecemDave

probably way too late but there are a few here

https://www.a2mminiaturistasmilitares.com/uniformes-miniaturistas-militares/banderas-de-la-guerra-de-la-independencia.html 

In general a google search in Spanish for "guerra de la independencia" will throw up more images especially of material produced for the 200 year anniversary.  (but ignore the mexican one!!) 
I have a copy of the carrera uniforms book but there are none in that. My Spanish is just about tolerable for a Guiri (so they tell me) but web translation is pretty good these days.

TinyTinTroops

Thanks for that, two of those I hadn't seen in that level of detail before so certainly useful.

I've got the basic Line flag generic bits done and some of the regimental 'badges' that go in the corners. What I'm coming to next is to add some of the non-regular & provincial units formed after 1808. Much more difficult to find clear descriptions or recreations of those. I'm getting there steadily.

Tony of TTT
Tony Hughes of Tiny Tin Troops

2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

John Cook

Quote from: TinyTinTroops on 20 May 2020, 12:50:05 PM
Thanks for that, two of those I hadn't seen in that level of detail before so certainly useful.

I've got the basic Line flag generic bits done and some of the regimental 'badges' that go in the corners. What I'm coming to next is to add some of the non-regular & provincial units formed after 1808. Much more difficult to find clear descriptions or recreations of those. I'm getting there steadily.

Tony of TTT

Generic is definitely the way to go I think with regular army colours.  The regimental badges you allude to are the arms of the Province in which the regiment was recruited so every one was different.

TinyTinTroops

Hi John

The corner images are not always exactly the same as the provincial arms as they are today (or probably even as they were then). I've found two that are different out of the limited set I have so I'm being a bit cautious. Some are quite pictorial and would take a deal of time (and so Leon's cash) to draw so I'm sticking with ones I can do with existing bits or simple ones. I have 5 done and want to add a guard and an Irish set so only 2 of the 'old' regulars to sort to get a sheet of 9 regiments (2 flags each).

Some of the provincials & those raised post 1808 seem to have been based on the same design but with differences - I'll do some of those but wanted to have a few of the more outlandish types as well - just for variety.

While I can't be sure of the historical veracity of what I end up with, I do want to stick as close as possible to what is known or has been guessed by those who know better. The problem is that a good deal of the info is vague, imprecise or varies between sources and it is obvious that some of the published sources in English have added more than a bit of their own interpretation while the Spanish sources seem to avoid anything speculative.

Does that seem a reasonable approach to you or do you think I'm being too picky ??

Tony
Tony Hughes of Tiny Tin Troops

2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

John Cook

Tony,

Missed this one.  No I don't think you are being too picky at all.  Old regular army colours were reissued to some new units, some completely new colours, of individual design, were presented to others and, in 1811 I think, new designs were allegedly presented national army regiments.  It is certainly possible to say what colours were carried by regiments of the regular army in 1808 but beyond that, the answer to what colours were carried by which regiment, and when, is, in a great many cases, 'nobody knows'.  Stephen Summerfield's book has a chapter on the colours carried by regular army regiments in 1808.