Affixing back banners, any tips?

Started by mmcv, 07 May 2020, 11:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Was prepping some of the Aztec range earlier today which included a rather frustrating half hour trying to affix a few back banners. Managed to get a few attached, mostly from luck and careful scaffolds to hold in place until dry but that's a massive faff.

Any tips on how to do it better.

Tried so far:

Superglue + backbanner held for a while by hand = fail

Superglue + backbanner on facedown model balanced on random offcuts + bluetac + more superglue = moderate success, though occasional additional things stuck on and slight loss of detail where superglue flowed.

Above techniques with the addition of baking powder to speed along = massive fail, would form into large clumps and fall off or if it did attach, cover all details and make it look like a giant swarm of wasps have built a nest on the poor guys back. Need to sand down or strip that one and see if it's salvageable.

Trying next time:

Carving a bit of a groove into the back to hopefully provide more grip.
Maybe try a resin rather than glue.
Milliput to shape in place.

Any other or better suggestions?

These frustratingly fiddly faffy bits are one of my least favourite parts of the hobby...

Ithoriel

For something like that you need tiny amounts of baking powder.

Assembled and undercoated some 15mm Ashigaru for a friend recently. Tiny streak of superglue on figure's back, run the banner pole through the baking powder, gentlest of taps if I got too much powder on (i.e. more than a few grains), apply banner to back. Few seconds later, solid bond. Worked for me. YMMV!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Glue in hole, then bend 90 degrees worked best for me!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

I have been sticking on sashimonos recently. I use superglue to begin, then a small dab of two-part epoxy to make a more reliable bond.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

Thanks!

Quote from: Ithoriel on 08 May 2020, 12:57:59 AM
For something like that you need tiny amounts of baking powder.

I did initially try something like that but couldn't get a solid enough hold so tried upping the quantities. Might just be the low surface area.

Quote from: mad lemmey on 08 May 2020, 01:13:37 AM
Glue in hole, then bend 90 degrees worked best for me!

Interesting... May try that, assuming I don't snap them on bending!

Quote from: FierceKitty on 08 May 2020, 04:11:50 AM
I have been sticking on sashimonos recently. I use superglue to begin, then a small dab of two-part epoxy to make a more reliable bond.

How are you holding them in place while it dries? Just by hand/tweezers?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

If you hold by hand they will stick to your fingers, honest !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Superglue on back of figure. Press banner into contact. Wait a moment, then switch the hand that was holding the banner, applying pressure with tip of  fingernail.  That usually does the job.

mmcv

Quote from: ianrs54 on 08 May 2020, 09:26:39 AM
If you hold by hand they will stick to your fingers, honest !

Yes they will indeed!

Quote from: FierceKitty on 08 May 2020, 09:38:48 AM
Superglue on back of figure. Press banner into contact. Wait a moment, then switch the hand that was holding the banner, applying pressure with tip of  fingernail.  That usually does the job.

Maybe I'm just not patient enough but doesn't seem to hold well enough in place.

FierceKitty

It just needs to hold it until the epoxy sets.

mmcv

Yeah it's maybe the epoxy I'm missing in that regard to give a bit of a firmer hold.

Orcs

Don't, too fiddly in 10mm for me. :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mmcv

Quote from: Orcs on 08 May 2020, 01:27:56 PM
Don't, too fiddly in 10mm for me. :)

Tempting, but it's such a big part of the look of them. I'm only doing a few per unit though to reduce the pain somewhat.

The separate sashimono are one thing that would put me off doing a medieval Japanese army...so many backbanners.

mmcv

So I finally took the plunge and started on the feudal Japanese army
Four back banners done and already my hand is cramping! With the Aztecs I went with drilling a small hole then bending it up and sealing with resin. Don't think that'll work with the sashimono though as they've a shorter pole. Went with the superglue and baking soda but still requires holding in place for about a minute each which is very fiddly. Then I'll likely need to apply a little epoxy for strength afterwards as when I just used superglue on the Aztecs ones they'd pop off at the first touch of a paintbrush.

What superglue are people using for fast bond? I've loctite at the moment but might need to find something faster setting for the sake of my sanity.

I use the cheapest stuff from poundland - but beware it can cause damage to the eyes in some people.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

I use Loctite and with baking soda and the bond is pretty much instant. Not overdoing either the superglue or the baking soda seems to be the key. In my experience at least.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data