Anyone help with this 1940s photo of RAF in India?

Started by sunjester, 07 May 2020, 05:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunjester

My wife has been sorting out family photos and come across this picture of her great uncle (I think, or it might be second cousin?), some relative of her dad anyway.

We know he was in the RAF in WW2, but that's about it. Looking at this photo he obviously spent some time in India and was involved with a fire brigade, presumably on an RAF airfield. Is there anyone out there who might have a bit of knowledge about such things and can shed any light on it?

Thank you.

Matt J

My late grandfather was an engineer in the RAF and was based at an airfield in India during WW2.

I'll ask my Mom if she has a bit more info but the old guy was quite tight lipped about his service years.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Ithoriel

It was over 20 years ago, so details are sketchy, but when I was still a librarian in the local Public Library I did some work with the local Fire Brigade Museum. As part of that I dealt briefly with the Museum of RAF Fire-Fighters. No idea if it still exists but if it does, and you haven't already tried them, might be worth contacting them.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

pierre the shy

Morning Sunjester

Not sure if this is any assistance to you but I have used this site when tracing some of my families previous military service: http://ww2talk.com

There are a lot of knowledgeable people there who are often willing and able to assist with enquiries like yours. No doubt the first thing they will suggest is that you obtain the man's service record, which you can do at this link:     

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records#service-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

It costs 30 quid and may take a while.

Good luck with your search.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

You might also try the RAF and Imperial War Museums.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

If you have name and DOB, the UK/Records still have details of all RAF non com airmen 1939-45.

RAF non com had a six digit number.  My late father served as an Air Gunner. He joined in early 1940, his number began 947 ***

Sunray

08 May 2020, 03:08:25 PM #6 Last Edit: 08 May 2020, 03:11:13 PM by Sunray
Alternatively send the image to photographic@rafmuseum.org  

Ask if they can supply any info on the unit in the image, and offer them a copy for the museum records with your relative (state as many details as possible to assist records ID) credited and acknowledged.

This incentive to use the image, might induce them to go the extra mile for what is an unusual piece of primary source material