The Swifts have landed

Started by sultanbev, 06 May 2020, 12:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sultanbev

Got an excited text from my partner last night, she spotted the swifts landed back from Africa 8pm last night, (here in NW Engand), 8 of them flitting about today. Yay!

That's a week earlier than last year.

Mark

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Raider4

Were they bearing coconuts? Or is that swallows?

Orcs

Quote from: Raider4 on 06 May 2020, 01:20:17 PM
Were they bearing coconuts? Or is that swallows?
Its swallows and it depends what type I believe.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Orcs

Quote from: sultanbev on 06 May 2020, 12:28:49 PM
Got an excited text from my partner last night, she spotted the swifts landed back from Africa 8pm last night, (here in NW Engand), 8 of them flitting about today. Yay!

That's a week earlier than last year.

Mark

They must have had a swift flight!
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

Don't get swifts over here. :(

To be honest, I've only seen swifts once in my life...and that was in Lincolnshire.

Don't get house martins around here either.....and the number of swallows definitely seems to be decreasing year by year..
We used to have up to three swallow nests in the barns..with associated youngsters.

None this year....Or last year.

We have seen swallows flitting around....But nowhere near the numbers we've seen in the past.

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

I saw some Swifts a couple of weeks ago and then no sightings until two days ago when they came back. Swallows have been around for a month or so.