Fred - 2020 Painting bits

Started by fred., 03 May 2020, 08:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Quote from: fred. on 26 May 2020, 07:01:19 PM
Glad its helpful hammurabi - and happy to hear that an adaptation is working for you mmcv

By varying the flock and tufts added at the end you can vary up the results quite a lot. This has been my go to basing for some time now.

For a while I was using wood filler - not least as it was brown coloured. But now keep this for when I want to model muddy bases, as its quite messy stuff to work with.

My only issue is if I'm a little cavalier with the mix and use too much paint to glue. Holds the flock okay but not the figures! Easy remedy though.

I've used modeling paste to similar effect on more sculpted bases, e.g. casualty tokens and single based figures. Gives a nice undulating texture and can sprinkle sand over it wet then paint/dry brush when set.

hammurabi70

Quote from: fred. on 26 May 2020, 07:01:19 PM
Glad its helpful hammurabi - and happy to hear that an adaptation is working for you mmcv

By varying the flock and tufts added at the end you can vary up the results quite a lot. This has been my go to basing for some time now.

For a while I was using wood filler - not least as it was brown coloured. But now keep this for when I want to model muddy bases, as its quite messy stuff to work with.

My previous methods:

1 Paint base brown
2 Add glue to base, add grit
3 Add glue to base, add scatter grass

I found the grit, although fine for 15mm, was too big for 6mm, so had to think again.

1 Add ARTEX to base
2 Paint base with preferred colour.

The presence of asbestos eliminates this one.

Hence my search for something appropriate for 10mm. [Wood filler is a near idea].

Techno

Quote from: mmcv on 26 May 2020, 07:11:09 PM
I've used modeling paste to similar effect on more sculpted bases, e.g. casualty tokens and single based figures. Gives a nice undulating texture and can sprinkle sand over it wet then paint/dry brush when set.

Have to say....That all that time ago, when I used to have time to paint figures....I used the same method with sand......If I ever get the chance to paint again (HAH !  ;))....I'll be going back to that.

Though I've not got any of my favourite colour greens anymore......Jars of 'Plaka' paint. I loved those for drybrushing.

Cheers - Phil

fred.

60mm bases. 4 packets of 60mm circular bases

Just found these in my bag of bases. I'm now trying to remember why I bought these - and why I need about 40 of them...    :-/    8-}

Answers on a postcard.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Quote from: mad lemmey on 28 May 2020, 11:23:32 PM
Tiddlywinks?

No. But I'm now tempted to try it. I'll see how bored the girls are tomorrow

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Interesting thought...

Fortunately posting about this has made some deep synapses of memory fire. I got them to use as sabot bases / movement trays for epic. So to finish them as a project all I need to do is add sand then flock (as per the recipe given a few posts above).  Can't believe I had just put them in a bag, in a drawer and forgotten about them.

I do feel that when I place an order, I ought to write down next to things, what I intend to do with them.

hammurabi70

Quote from: fred. on 29 May 2020, 09:54:14 AM

Fortunately posting about this has made some deep synapses of memory fire. I got them to use as sabot bases / movement trays for epic. So to finish them as a project all I need to do is add sand then flock (as per the recipe given a few posts above).  Can't believe I had just put them in a bag, in a drawer and forgotten about them.

How do you use a 60mm circular as a sabot? I can understand using a large square one to provide one for a lot of small square or circular ones but what is the plan with these? Hardly worth it to get two 30mm bases on, can you get three?

fred.

It's more of a movement tray than a sabot

This is the idea - with the epic figures being so light friction holds them in place well enough and you can get 3 or 4 of the infantry stands on them.

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: fred. on 30 May 2020, 09:39:07 PM

This is the idea - with the epic figures being so light friction holds them in place well enough and you can get 3 or 4 of the infantry stands on them.

Unfortunately Google User Content has cut you off at the knees and all I see is a humongous minus sign  :(

Ithoriel

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 01 June 2020, 12:21:16 AM
Unfortunately Google User Content has cut you off at the knees and all I see is a humongous minus sign  :(

I don't even see that!

I'm guessing it's a link to a link to the image and not to the image itself?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

Lets try this again, then. The first image was copied from my phone, so I wonder if it picked up a restricted URL (as the image still shows for me)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

That one is showing Fred - nice idea !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 01 June 2020, 12:21:16 AM

I've had this happen quite a lot when trying to direct link Google Photos, permissions can be a bit janky on it and will appear sometimes and not others. I posted a guide in the technical board on how to make it work, but to be honest it's such a faff I just stuck the Imgur app on my phone and upload the photos to there instead for linking.