Fred - 2020 Painting bits

Started by fred., 03 May 2020, 08:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Spell chucker - Hogwarts slang - magic wand.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fred.

Basing

A productive afternoon, as the weather was still pretty poor here

Lots of Dwarves, got the bases finished off and flocked

Wingsuits and Irish pike and shot, with some Scots loitering in the background

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

Wizards and Rogues

For Irregular Wars you need figures to represent various characters, the Warlord and Captains I've got pretty well covered from various command figures already, but also needed at Wizards and Rogues. Most of my Wizards are based on 40mm squares, and I've not need rogues before, so this gave an good excuse for a rummage through the various figures I have stashed away, and I found lots of promising candidates. A few colours later (including quite a bit of GW contrast paints) they are starting to look like what they should! I've based them up, mainly so that I can check for each figure which ones is finished, as on painting sticks it was getting a bit hard to see which were done, and which had bits left to do.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Techno

Cracking, Forbes !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

fred.

fred.

Put some of the recently painted and based things away today. So took the opportunity to take photos the Dwarves and Irish armies - both of which are now at a decent size!

Dwarves

Lots and lots of Dwarves, to the left Copplestone, then GW Handgunners, BoFA plastic dwarves (who are a bit small compared to the others), GW artillery, rangers and more handgunners. Along the back lots of commanders. The other painted figures in this army are 3 Pendraken gyrocopters, which need rebasing to 40mm squares. Unpainted, there isn't a lot, some more handgunners (which are part painted) a couple of units of rangers, a couple more cannon, and 3 more gyrocopters. I'm keeping a fairly simple traditional core dwarven army, with no berserkers or cavalry. 

Irish

This army has been built steadily for Irregular Wars, as opposition to Tudor English (or other Irish, or Scots, or who ever is passing...). The figures are virtually all Pendraken. The force so far consists of
10 Kerns
5 Gallowglass
2 Bonnachts
2 Redshanks
4 Shot
2 Pike
2 Dogs
1 Priest
5 Cavalry
and only 1 commander

A few more command figures will be an easy addition and allow some different uses. The main units I want to add a few more of are Bonnachts and a few more shot to be used as Kern Marksmen. Several of the units are used in other lists, which is why there are quite so many Kerns and Gallowglass.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

hammurabi70

Quote from: fred. on 25 May 2020, 09:07:52 PM
Put some of the recently painted and based things away today. So took the opportunity to take photos the Dwarves and Irish armies - both of which are now at a decent size!

Very impressive; how do you do the basing?

Techno

Wottalotta soldiers !  :-bd =D> :-bd

Cheers - Phil

fred.

Cheers guys!

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 26 May 2020, 12:39:10 AM
how do you do the basing?

Basing is basic sand, brown paint and flock! In a bit more detail:

* Mix PVA and brown paint in approx equal amounts, add a small amount of water to thin
* Brush a generous layer of this over MDF base, add a small amount of the glue/paint mix to the figure base, and any large flat areas of the base
* Put all figures in position on base
* Add any rocks or grit for stony areas
* Sprinkle sand over the base and figures
* Leave to dry for 10-15mins, carefully tip off excess sand (this can be omitted if the figures need more time to set)
* Leave to dry overnight
* Tap off any loose sand

* Use a dilute medium-brown paint to cover any remaining sand - this is very quick as the brown paint in the PVA does most of this for you, this is just getting those few grains that remain..
* Dry brush with sandy shade
* Add any tuffs or extras
* Put diluted PVA in blobs where you want flock to go
* Sprinkle flock on - I use a mix of various shades of flock, not just a single colour
* Tip off excess flock after 10-15 mins

I have to say that adding the brown paint to to the glue is a key step, as this effectively paints the sand for you, if you don't do this then painting the dried sand is really hard work.

hammurabi70

Quote from: fred. on 26 May 2020, 01:34:22 PM
Cheers guys!

Basing is basic sand, brown paint and flock! In a bit more detail:

* Mix PVA and brown paint in approx equal amounts, add a small amount of water to thin
* Brush a generous layer of this over MDF base, add a small amount of the glue/paint mix to the figure base, and any large flat areas of the base
* Put all figures in position on base
* Add any rocks or grit for stony areas
* Sprinkle sand over the base and figures
* Leave to dry for 10-15mins, carefully tip off excess sand (this can be omitted if the figures need more time to set)
* Leave to dry overnight
* Tap off any loose sand

* Use a dilute medium-brown paint to cover any remaining sand - this is very quick as the brown paint in the PVA does most of this for you, this is just getting those few grains that remain..
* Dry brush with sandy shade
* Add any tuffs or extras
* Put diluted PVA in blobs where you want flock to go
* Sprinkle flock on - I use a mix of various shades of flock, not just a single colour
* Tip off excess flock after 10-15 mins

I have to say that adding the brown paint to to the glue is a key step, as this effectively paints the sand for you, if you don't do this then painting the dried sand is really hard work.

Thanks!  That's great, really helpful.  :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd

mmcv

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 26 May 2020, 02:07:10 PM
Thanks!  That's great, really helpful.  :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd

I've tried out freds method of basing a few times myself now and it does work pretty well. I have sometimes "shortcut" it a little bit and rather than sand/drybrush/flock I usually apply a mix of light and dark brown flock onto the wet paint/pva mix then sprinkle in sand to fill the gaps. Then once that's dried and shaken off, add watered down pva to strengthen and sprinkle over whatever grasses I intend to use.

That's generally been for more "lush" basing though, for rougher, patchier terrain the dry brushed sand and grit over the paint does look very nice.

fred.

Glad its helpful hammurabi - and happy to hear that an adaptation is working for you mmcv

By varying the flock and tufts added at the end you can vary up the results quite a lot. This has been my go to basing for some time now.

For a while I was using wood filler - not least as it was brown coloured. But now keep this for when I want to model muddy bases, as its quite messy stuff to work with.