Fred - 2020 Painting bits

Started by fred., 03 May 2020, 08:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Unless I'm very much mistaken.......Those are the ones that Bill (D_Guy) asked me to make, Forbes ! ;)

Cheers - Phil :)

fred.

Mantic Salamanders and Naiads

These were painted up earlier in the year - defiantly not 10mm figures!

All kind of speed painted - which is about all I can be bothered with for whole units of 28mm figures. Salamanders lots of dry brushing, Naiads lots of washes
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

fred.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

Those look belting !....Especially if you didn't spend much time on them, Forbes :-bd
Very effective !!

Cheers - Phil

fred.

Quote from: Techno on 22 May 2020, 07:42:19 AM
Those look belting !....Especially if you didn't spend much time on them, Forbes :-bd
Very effective !!

Cheers Phil = they have a good level of sculpted detail, which makes it easy to paint using washes and dry brushing - plus as non-humans who can say quite how they are supposed to look!

fred.

Irregular Wars: Fantastic Battles

We've been doing quite a lot of live gaming by video chat over the lockdown period, and last night we tried out the beta of the new fantasy version of Irregular Wars. It was just a small game to get a feel for the rules.

I took the Forces of Nature, comprising of a unit of 3 forest shamblers, a single fire elemental, a unit of 2 water elementals, a unit of 3 Slyvan Kin, and finally the monstrous Tree Herder, with the army's Warlord. This army contains a lot of Pendraken figures, but mixed in with quite a few other manufacturers too.

Arrayed against this selection of moving trees, where the brave forces of the Empire. A unit of 4 Halberdiers, a battery of 2 cannons, 2 knights led by their Warlord, and a unit of 4 cross bows.

It was a fairly cluttered battlefield, and for the first few turns the Empire forces were happy to sit back to wait for the Nature troops to advance into their guns. This is the situation after a few turns, were the Water Elementals have taken one round of shooting from the Cannons, and are suffering from it!

The water elementals took more shooting damage - being left just 1 point of resolve away from breaking - so took an action to regenerate, drawing strength from the surrounding water (in the ground!) and came back to half strength.

Charge!

At this point it all kicked off! The Sylvan Kin advanced out of the wood and charged the crossbow men. The Knights charged the Water Elementals, and Tree Herder lumbered forwards

The crossbow men vs sylvan kin fight was fairly even - missile troops can stand and shoot as a charge reaction, gaining an extra dice in melee, and by being a bigger unit than their opponent gives them more bonus dice too.

The knights though had rather over cooked things, and left their flank exposed to the fire elemental, who charged in! While Tree Herder got into the other side of the crossbow men.
On the hill on the left the forest shamblers went forward very slowly, while the halberdiers held their line.

The knights destroyed the water elementals, but were still engaged by the fire elementals, who had done a lot of damage to the knights. The crossbow men couldn't stand another round of combat against both the sylvan kin and Tree Herder. The result of this was big gaps

Tree Herder, as a single stand company is very mobile, and was able to charge into the flank of the knights - generating 13 attack dice - quite  a few as most companies generate 3 or 4 normally. The knights caught fighting to both their flanks did little damage back, but it was enough to kill the Fire Elementals

Meanwhile on the hill the halberdiers spotted their moment and charge the Forest Shamblers. This turned into an attritional battle.

Big hole in the middle

Tree Herder left surveying the battlefield - where to go next!

Flank charge on the cannon!

Meanwhile on the hill the halberdiers and forest shamblers continue to hammer away at each other

The End!

The cannon battery is trampled by Tree Herder, while the shamblers finish off the halberdiers (with only a few wounds remaining on themselves).

Overall it was an enjoyable game - perhaps helped the the destruction Tree Herder caused!
The Empire forces were unlucky to have not killed the water elementals with shooting - one more shot would have finished them off, and that could have been quite different as then they would have got more shots off particularly at Tree Herder which would have been very dangerous to him as such a big creature, the cannons would have got +2 dice on their shooting.

Thanks to Nic for letting us play the beta rules, and for joining us for the second half of the game (the magic of video conferencing) Where he corrected our misunderstandings and put up with many many suggestions of how we thought things ought to work.

The rules play very differently to classic Irregular Wars, but have a the feel of a bigger battle. The ability to create your own units to build an army is certainly a fun and interesting part of the game - and I certainly have plenty of armies to build force lists for!

Looking forward to seeing how these rules develop.

Next up, Goblins vs Dwarves?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Techno

FierceKitty

Quote from: fred. on 21 May 2020, 07:09:15 PM
Mantic Salamanders and Naiads

These were painted up earlier in the year - defiantly not 10mm figures!

All kind of speed painted - which is about all I can be bothered with for whole units of 28mm figures. Salamanders lots of dry brushing, Naiads lots of washes

Whom are they defying? The whole 10mm community here?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fred.

Quote from: FierceKitty on 24 May 2020, 07:46:17 AM
Whom are they defying? The whole 10mm community here?

Yep

And spell checkers.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021