Previous topic - Next topic

Techno II

Those look really good, Forbes !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil :)

Steve J

Very nice work and some lovely figures.

fred.

Thanks chaps!  :)

I've now remembered what I did painting wise in Sept (some 40k figures for FFoL Sci Fi) so I will get some photos of them done!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Mounted Samurai

Had these chaps on the go for a while but got them pretty much finished tonight - it's hard to know how much detail to add to the armour. I've gone with just 1 or 2 extra colours over the base.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mmcv

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ray Rivers

Wow, Fred!

So much goodness in this thread... which I just discovered.  :-bd

Your Samurai are coming out great!  =D>

I wouldn't mind painting them myself but I fear all the detail and know absolutely nothing about the period.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno II

Nice one, Forbes !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil :)

fred.

Thanks all - I'm sure I could add some more highlights to these - but not sure they need it, I'm trying to paint an army, not individuals.

Quote from: Ray Rivers on 25 November 2020, 12:28:02 AM
Wow, Fred!

So much goodness in this thread... which I just discovered.  :-bd

Your Samurai are coming out great!  =D>

I wouldn't mind painting them myself but I fear all the detail and know absolutely nothing about the period.

Thanks Ray - if you want to look their are previous years iterations around too - I normally link them in the first post, but for some reason didn't this year.

The Sengoku Japanese troops are great - the Ashigaru are really quick and easy to paint and are the bulk of the forces, then the Samurai take much more painting, but you don't need as many. I didn't know anything much about the period before starting this project, but between a couple of Osprey books and the internet you can find out plenty.

DaveH

Ray Rivers

Hey Fred,

Noticed a lot of your work appears to use a fairly generic base size. What is it? 40x40?

fred.

Yep, 40x40mm. We used to play a lot of Warmaster so had loads of 40x20mm and 20x40mm based figures, but over time we have moved to home brew rules (probably via several stops) so 40x40 allowed easy re-use of figures, either with no rebasing (just push to bases together, or even glue two bases together) or with actual rebasing, which I did for lots of missile troops to allow more scattered formations.  This size also seems to work pretty well for various other rules too.

For 20th Century stuff, this doesn't hold true - as figures have been based for other rules, for WWI on 30x30mm for GWSH, and WWII mainly on 50x30mm for BKC.