Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Those are excellent, well done  :D

fred.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

Japanese Based

23 bases of troops done. 5 samurai, 4 specials and the rest Ashigaru

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mmcv

Basing really brightens then up, good to see them all together.

Techno

They look the bees' knees, Forbes !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

fred.

Thanks chaps

The green on the bases does really lift the overall look.

This might seem a very odd question, but what kind of domestic and farm animals would have been around in this period? I've got lots of civilians and buildings so a few animals will help decorate them.

FierceKitty

24 July 2020, 10:02:09 AM #232 Last Edit: 24 July 2020, 10:05:09 AM by FierceKitty
Pigs, smallish cattle, dogs, cats (which the Japanese traditionally admire and fear), poultry, bunnies. Foxes were tolerated as protectors of rice, but also considered natural deceivers and villians.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

Quote from: fred. on 24 July 2020, 08:21:07 AM
Thanks chaps

The green on the bases does really lift the overall look.

This might seem a very odd question, but what kind of domestic and farm animals would have been around in this period? I've got lots of civilians and buildings so a few animals will help decorate them.

Quote from: FierceKitty on 24 July 2020, 10:02:09 AM
Pigs, smallish cattle, dogs, cats (which the Japanese traditionally admire and fear), poultry, bunnies. Foxes were tolerated as protectors of rice, but also considered natural deceivers and villians.

From what I understand animal husbandry was pretty rare in normal villiage life. Diet was largely grains/rice (if they could afford to eat it rather than give it as tax) supplemented with vegetables and fish/seafood. They didn't really go in for large scale animal husbandry the way you would think of it in Europe, so most meat was hunted rather than kept in pens. For adding a bit of animal life it would be more likely some wild boars, deers or pheasants wandering around the outskirts than any sort of concentrated animal presense. There were some native dogs and cats certainly running around, though worth looking up native breeds as I've a feeling native Japanese cats have very short tails (if you're fussed by such things!), though there's a variety of native dog breeds as well. Foxes and tanuki (racoon dogs) feature heavily in the folklore, though again more in the fields and outskirts than amongst people, so depends if you're going for villiage life or more urban.

FierceKitty

Boars must have been fairly common. I've seen a wooden water-powered thumping scareboar machine in a Japanese village museum.

mmcv

I think after European contact livestock and meat became more popular, at least amongst the wealthy, but that's quite late in the period when things had settled down. I imagine there were some wealthy peasants who could afford a livestock animal or two but suspect the vast vast majority didn't have the resources to do much more than tend to rice and millet and hunt the odd but of game for special occasions.

FierceKitty

The upper classes enjoyed a bit of meat, I'm sure. They certainly wouldn't have reared it themselves.

mmcv

Quote from: FierceKitty on 24 July 2020, 11:48:13 AM
The upper classes enjoyed a bit of meat, I'm sure. They certainly wouldn't have reared it themselves.

Mostly hunted I think, and eaten for "medicinal purposes", especially when Buddhism was dominant and meat eating was fairly taboo.

FierceKitty

Lee is much amused at that, in her artless Buddhist (and ravenously carnivorous) way.

mmcv

Quote from: FierceKitty on 24 July 2020, 12:06:51 PM
Lee is much amused at that, in her artless Buddhist (and ravenously carnivorous) way.

As with all religious tenets some take it more seriously than others.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/japan-meat-ban

Maybe a lone ox pulling a plough would work well.