Dutch/Belgian Flags 1815.

Started by YORSTONS, 03 May 2020, 09:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YORSTONS

Please, please, please can we have Dutch Belgian Flags.

mollinary

Apart from the Nassauers,,  I am not aware  of any evidence that the Dutch and Belgian Regiments had been issued with flags in time for the Waterloo campaign.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Which is strange, because Fighting15s does a full range?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

Indeed!  However, none appear in the excellent cent-jours site. Also in the Netherlands Military Colours section on crwflags.com
there is a piece on the original flags of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. This states that in August 1814 a committee was set up under a LtGeneral Jenssens to examine the question of flags and standards for the new army. They did not finish their report until December 1815, and the flags which resulted were not issued until September 1820!  These are the so called "1815" flags which some have supposed were carried at Waterloo. The implication is that if any flags were carried in the Waterloo campaign they were unofficial, and of an unknown pattern.  Sorry!

John Cook

Molinary is right.  The Dutch/Belgians had no flags in 1815 and all those you see weren't presented until afterwards.  You can print out your own here though https://www.warflag.com/napflags/flaghtml/holland.htm.

YORSTONS

So basically the standard bearer in each pack is a wasted figure then.

John Cook

Well, you can either give them one of the post 1815 colours, which a lot of people do, or you can remove the staff and use the figure as another officer.  Either way, not really wasted.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

Quote from: John Cook on 03 May 2020, 07:14:55 PM
Well, you can either give them one of the post 1815 colours, which a lot of people do, or you can remove the staff and use the figure as another officer.  Either way, not really wasted.

Maverick models do some of the post 1815 colours (curiously under a heading of 'United Provinces') and they will re size them to fit your flagpoles exactly.

Ace of Spades

I used to re-enact Dutch troops 1815 and indeed; where everyone was always showing of their flags at Waterloo we had none... What some units did was use a Dutch national flag either the red-white-(dark)blue or an earlier model with orange-white-(light)blue. I would probably go with these because they look more authentic then the flags produced for wargaming.
But if you like the specially made wargaming flags, please use them!

Best regards,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!