Peninsular War Spanish

Started by rangerdad, 02 May 2020, 08:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Scolty on 04 May 2020, 03:31:57 PM
I think 2021 will be my year for naps!

Wonder why you think you are going to be particularly tired next year ?  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

OUT ! Ian go and collect your coat, remember to keep your social distance from Nobby (advisable even before lockdown :) )
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

I'm normally at least 2 miles from Nobby when he's at work, and Wuncorn is 20 miles away, so safe from im.  :P

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Scolty

Nice one!

Currently working from home and having lots of fun with IT (my fellow teachers working in Scotland will understand...).

Back to marking...

Scolty
(not too tired...)

Steve J

In the Spanish list, it doesn't say whether the infantry (for whatever period) will be in March Attack or Firing poses. Could you let us know what the poses would be please?

For the Cavalry, from my Blandford's book, it would appear that the Spanish Line Cavalry and Dragoons would be wearing Bicornes, with the Hussars possibly in Mirliton Caps. Again could you confirm or correct please?

When I know the answers to the above I can then put in my pledge :).

John Cook

Quote from: Steve J on 06 May 2020, 07:52:33 AM
In the Spanish list, it doesn't say whether the infantry (for whatever period) will be in March Attack or Firing poses. Could you let us know what the poses would be please?

For the Cavalry, from my Blandford's book, it would appear that the Spanish Line Cavalry and Dragoons would be wearing Bicornes, with the Hussars possibly in Mirliton Caps. Again could you confirm or correct please?

When I know the answers to the above I can then put in my pledge :).

Hi, Leon will no doubt confirm when he's got over the food poisoning but the notes and images I provided were for infantry 'March Attack', only because that is my preference.  I'm confident that is what will be produced.  On the cavalry, I don't have the Blandford book so I can't comment.  What I can say is that the notes I provided for the Line Cavalry and Dragoons were in the Pattern 1805 uniform - Line in bicorn, cavalry boots and carbine, Dragoons in bicorn, gaiters and musket, the Hussars in Pattern 1802 with Mirliton. 

Steve J

Thanks for the feedback John :).

Steve J

Regarding the Spanish Cazadores, I believe the 1802 uniform would be a Hussar style uniform with a Tarleton style helmet and the 1805 uniform in a more traditional light infantry cut with Bicorne. Am I right in thinking this?

John Cook

Yes, that's right.  There were a three changes of uniform in the Spanish infantry, as a whole, between 1797 and 1805.  The Cazadores Pattern 1800 was French in style, long tails, exposed waistcoat, and was a mainly a change in colour from green to blue.  This changed in 1802 to the green light cavalry-style with helmet you describe, and again in 1805 to a conventional style like the line infantry, but in blue.  Authorised in 1806, the Pattern 1805 didn't reach the regiments until 1808 and the Cazadores regiments of Romana's Division were still wearing the Pattern 1802 when, as a then French ally, it deployed to Northern Germany in 1807.  They were, presumably, still wearing in after they returned to Spain, courtesy of the RN, in October 1808, and when they became 5th Division of the Army of Galicia.  Other than Romana's, which regiment wore which uniform and when is something I haven't seen established by anyone.

Steve J

Thanks for confirming this John :). Now it's a case of deciding which one (or both :D) I fancy getting!

John Cook

No question.  You know what the answer to that is  :)

Steve J

It's futile resisting it I know, but one can but try ;) :D.

Aksu

Hullo,
Here is a list I compiled of Spanish militia uniforms in May 1808. Quite ragtag.
http://www.the-ancients.com/gemigabok/spanish-militia-uniforms-in-may-1808/
Cheers,
Aksu

Steve J

Very interesting Aksu and an awful lot of brown it would seem.

Steve J

Leon, I know you have a lot of catching up to do, but any chance confirming the Spanish poses please?