Do not teach your wife to wargame, gentlemen.

Started by FierceKitty, 02 May 2020, 03:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

Quote from: FierceKitty on 04 May 2020, 10:24:16 AM
RIGHT! That's set a few things straight in this marriage. Ch'in victory today was never seriously in doubt once we'd managed to engage them.

Lets get this straight - As soon as your forces engages Lees Chin army she beat the crap out of you ? :D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

Quote from: Orcs on 04 May 2020, 10:36:17 AM
Lets get this straight - As soon as your forces engages Lees Chin army she beat the crap out of you ? :D

'   '   '   - insert those in the right places, then start being nasty to me!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

04 May 2020, 04:39:35 PM #18 Last Edit: 04 May 2020, 05:48:00 PM by Orcs
Quote from: FierceKitty on 04 May 2020, 10:53:52 AM
'   '   '   - insert those in the right places, then start being nasty to me!

Be gentle with me FK, I had been up for 18 hours after completing 8 x 12.5 hour night shifts

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

Quote from: Orcs on 04 May 2020, 04:39:35 PM
Be gentle with me FK, I had been up for 18 hours after completing 8 x 12.5 hour night shifts

Fun aren't they ?  ;)

Techno

No.....Only ever had to do one.....In the exchange at 3 in the morning on a Sunday, to switch all the lines from a 'string and rubber band system' to an electronic exchange.
I think there around twenty to thirty of us in at that unearthly hour....The actual work itself took less than 5 minutes....Then it was a case of seeing if anything had been b*ggered up.

The best bit was sitting in the canteen and watching everyone arrive for that 'shift'......Talk about 'night of the living dead'.  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

Done hundreds of em, we usually got it all done by about 04:00 but stuck til 08:30 UGH!!!

Orcs

Mine can be dead boring with nothing going on, or so frantic the takeaway your ordered for 10:30 pm finally gets reheated at 3 am.  Worst bit is I am watching 5 22" screens full of alarms hoping I don't miss an important one.

Ithoriel

I feel your pain Orcs!

I am so glad to be well past the delights of standing freezing my .... socks ... off, chatting to whichever PC had drawn the short straw and got to stand around in the cold and dark while some guy in a shonky looking harness scrambled around the outside a Victorian building, or the fragile looking parapet of a bridge, running cable because that was the only permissible route and 4am was the only time we could get the city centre road closed. Usually part of a 38 hour weekend slotted between two 36.25 hour weeks of split shifts.

Not sure the wodges of money were worth the toll on my health! So look after yours.

>:< 
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

There was one fairly large balls up on the exchange change-over.....After all the 'new lines' had been set up, some of the engineers were supposed to go and cut the old cables with bolt croppers.

Unfortunately, one of them, cut through a number of 100 (?) pair cables that were still wanted...That meant that one particular group had a frantic few hours reconnecting everything....OOOPS !

No...it wasn't me. :P

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

Never had computer cables cut but did have an apprentice sparks accidentally cut through the fire alarm circuit in a busy, seven floor, public building - oops! indeed :)

Fortunately I was off-site and not project manager when another sparks I'd been working with fatally forgot he'd turned the power back on and reached between two very large bus bars to pick up a screwdriver and completed the circuit. :-(
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

mmcv

FK, where did you get your figures? Chinese ancients in small scales are harder to come by which is a shame given how grand the scale of the battles!

I've seen MM do some Qin, Newline some Han and Irregular some Shang. Any others you've used?

FierceKitty

09 May 2020, 04:02:20 PM #29 Last Edit: 09 May 2020, 04:04:04 PM by FierceKitty
Newline are a big part of it; I like everything but their chariots, which don't actually have real spokes in the wheels. The other company I chiefly used were Reiver, now allegedly sold by Northumbrian Painting Services. Their chariots were much better, and most of the figures good, but their dagger-axes were hopelessly flimsy, and I had to do a lot of cutting, drilling, and gluing, with imperfect results. I have a few Magister Militum, but not many; their poses are insipid, and the prices are high.

I can't find any Irregular Miniatures 10mm Shang. Are you sure?