10mm American War of Independence

Started by xccam, 01 May 2020, 03:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace of Spades

Beautiful figures, a joy to paint. You certainly do them justice!

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

Those are really beautiful.

I reflect that I've hardly lifted my brushes since the lockdown has begun.
Currently front of the queue are 15mm Indians (For Dragon Rampant) and 2mm Renaissance.

I've a cunning plan to save my £18.00 non-spend on railway tickets and use it to launch my 10mm Irregular Wars contingents.

xccam

Thank you for all the kind comments.
First update of figures added since then -

The first 3 bases of the 71st Fraser's Highlanders

A 3-Pounder

Here is a group shot including the first 3 bases of the 7th Royal Fusiliers, 71st Fraser's Highlanders, Legion Cavalry (but not the 3pdr)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

They look great !!  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

Sunray

Inspiring eye candy. In 2008, I was an exchange scholar in Tennessee got a chance to visit both Cowpens and Sycamore Shoals.

I was impressed by the futuristic and inspired tactics by Morgan of defence in depth which drew the Brits into double envelopment   A concept we don't readily associate with the musketry slogging matches and death or glory charges of the 18th Century.   

And all this with very limited tools for battle field management. 

Westmarcher

Quote from: Sunray on 12 May 2020, 09:40:46 AM
Inspiring eye candy. In 2008, I was an exchange scholar in Tennessee got a chance to visit both Cowpens and Sycamore Shoals.

I was impressed by the futuristic and inspired tactics by Morgan of defence in depth which drew the Brits into double envelopment   A concept we don't readily associate with the musketry slogging matches and death or glory charges of the 18th Century.   

For the uninitiated, there is this concept of 18th century warfare being a line them up and slug it out in a fire fight but actually there was a lot more to many of the battles of the era; Howe and Cornwallis's flank attack at Brandywine whilst Knyphausen pinned Washington's front at Chadds Ford; the success of the flanking manoeuvre at Brooklyn/Long Island; the remarkable action at Paoli where Grey ordered the Brits to remove the flints on their muskets and successfully manoeuvred his force to carry out a night attack and rout a superior force with the bayonet only (a force which contrary to US propaganda was alerted and formed up); Morgan's tactics, again with a superior force, were tried by Greene at Guilford Court House but the Brits prevailed there (albeit it was somewhat of a Pyrrhic victory); in Europe, there was Frederick's dynamic victories at Leuthen (flank attack on a superior force) and Rossbach (fast moving re-deployment and attack); and so on.

I was lucky enough to have been taught about the Seven Years War and the AWI in school. I couldn't understand how Britain could be so successful in one but not the other until I read more about it in my adult years. Although ultimately the colonists won their independence (and their story is also to be admired) with the help of France, Spain and Holland, I was amazed to read that the British Army actually performed really well, adopting a new style of warfare (and uniforms) more suitable for the American theatre, winning more battles than losing them, often against superior numbers. If you haven't already done so, I recommend reading Mark Urban's Fusiliers (How the British Army Lost America but Learned How to Fight) and Matthew Spring's With Zeal & With Bayonets Only (The British Army On Campaign in North America 1775-1783).   

Back to Cowpens, here's a good little video on the action from the American Battlefield Trust.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

DaveH

monkeynut

Beautiful looking units. Well painted and based. Hope to see more as always an inspiration to see other collections.

🐵

Noktu

Looks stunning. However, maybe the dragoons could benefit from further gray highlights?

Currently the dark grey and dark green blend together making it hard to distinguish lines. Could be different when looked upon in real life though.

xccam

A final update for the British aspect of this project - in truth the Legion are too dark, but having committed I'm going to leave them for now.

A few more images are viewable on my blog https://xccamminiatures.blogspot.com/2020/08/10mm-british-army-for-battle-of-cowpens.html

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner