newbie needs help,lost in lockdown!

Started by terrynet, 28 April 2020, 01:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrynet

Just started reading the rules for BKC,but find I only really learn by playing a game(solo). I wondered if the comunity had any tips or help for what starter army(s) to assist in the learning process.do i need buildings , ect ect. I would really appreciate some direction before jumping into buying lead?Thanks

fred.

The starter armies that Pendraken offer are a good mix of units, for shopping purposes.

For learning the game, if you don't have figures to hand, then cardboard counters are a good choice, either dead simple with just words to describe the unit, or if you are going to be using these for a bit while you wait for figures, then you can find lots of top down pictures on the internet - the junior general is a good place to start looking.

For your first few games, keep it small and simple, say 500pts or so a side. Stick with Infantry, Tanks and a few support weapons. Then as you get used to the mechanisms start to add in more stuff, more terrain, off-table artillery, aircraft, etc

Have fun!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

robert

Quote from: terrynet on 28 April 2020, 01:26:59 PM
Just started reading the rules for BKC,but find I only really learn by playing a game(solo). I wondered if the comunity had any tips or help for what starter army(s) to assist in the learning process.do i need buildings , ect ect. I would really appreciate some direction before jumping into buying lead?Thanks

I would make some card bases of infantry and a few vehicles with a page for yourself detailing the relevant stats  - say German v British in the desert - line them up about 24" apart with a hill or two between them - then start playing using the quick ref sheets and looking up rules as situations develop.

Add extra units, switch to Europe and add more terrain like woods etc.  In other words star really simple and build up 'complexity' until you are also using pre-programmed artiley and air strikes - just a normal learning curve.
That is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put - Winston Churchill

Big Insect

If I remember correctly there was an online Review video of BKCIV - might be on Utube - I am sure it was mentioned in a thread on the forum but I am struggling to find it.
But it might also be helpful.

Another playing trick I often use is to set up some of the examples in the rules and play-on from these - they very often don't use a huge number of models.
The idea of using card 'dummies' is also hugely helpful, and it also helps you get an idea of what type of army you want to build - Early. Mid or Late War - what nationality works for you etc. I quite like tough infantry armies - so I favour paratroop formations (of all nationalities) or armies like Finns for example. But that's a personal choice.
But play-testing different armies in card format saves you a lot of time and frustration ahead of building the model army.

The starter packs are also a great way to get going, once you know what army you are after.

Welcome to the forum  :)

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

T-Square

I ran a beginner game at a convention.  I made up top down cardboard units with all the stats on them. It made it very easy for the players and made for a good game.   500 points is a good starter size.  Keep things simple to start; then start adding things such as buildings, artillery, and aircraft strikes after you get the basics down.

I used Junior General for almost all my top downs.  Great site.

paulr

Welcome to the forum :-h

As others have said the top down pages at Junior General are a great way to put together some test armies

As to which armies that is a very personal choice, I tend to go with history that interests me. It might be a family connection, a particular battle or a unit with an interesting back story
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Hi Terrynet. Welcome to the forum.

Some of the old methods may be of help to get you started.

Keep the table small - 3' x 3'. Cloth over books for hills. Strips of cardboard for roads, rivers and railways. Lichen for hedges and model railway trees are cheap enough. You can also print off some templates for buildings that you can make out of cardboard.

Cardboard counters are a great way to start, but one of the great things about the hobby are the aesthetics of the figures (especially Pendraken). A platoon of infantry and a troop of tanks are about £20.

The Desert War is a great place to start. Not much in the way of terrain, and quite straightforward paint jobs (if you avoid the Caunter scheme.)

Whatever, I hope you get great enjoyment from BKC and the hobby in general. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Hi terrynet,

Welcome to the Forum.

My erudite forum colleagues seem to have answered your initial questions, but feel free to ask more.  Questions are normally answered promptly and with good advice, although once you get known on the forum there is often good natured ribbing. (especially of Techno, it mandatory at least once a week day).  :)

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Itinerant Hobbyist

sultanbev

I've noticed over at Wargames Vault someone has done some SCW counters with BKC-IV stats
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/332589/Wargaming-Armies--Spanish-Civil-War

and is considering doing WW2 ones,

Mark

paulr

Interesting counters, I wonder if the creator has discussed this with Pendraken :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!