Poland 1939/1940

Started by Dannyboy, 28 April 2020, 12:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannyboy

A friend has been into the 10mm WW2 genre for a while and so I've volunteered to bring the Poles to the table as he's focused on the Soviet's and Germans, so a September 1939 campaign looks top be in the offering. So far so good, figs duly ordered (cheers Leon) tanks to roll along shortly. The wee snag in the ointment is my friend's forces are all lined up for Barbarossa, so no Panzer 1's which led me to thinking what would the Polish forces have been like if the German's held back for up to a year or so before starting WW2?

Looking around the web unearthed these two options, both on the drawing board in 1939 and evidently under consideration. First the Polish 10TP.
WIKI link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10TP
Tank encyclopedia link: https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/polish/10TP.php

In essence the turret of the 7TP attached to an American Christie hull in a similar vein to the the Soviet BT7, creating a fast medium option for Polish armour. What's an even more interesting option and certainly something to challenge the T-28's, the Polish plans for the K.S.U.S.T MK2 25TP, with two main arm varients, one with a French 75mm, and a second with a 75 mm anti-aircraft gun wz.22/24.
WIKI Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20/25TP

This would I think have been a serious challenge to even the PZIII's and PZIV's. Interesting what if scenario certainly! Now Leon what's the cjhance of adding these to the Polish list  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D just to give all the German fanboy's out there something to worry about?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I'd like to register a vote against....these hypotheticals take up time which could be used to model real stuff, particularly since Battlegroup Northag (released next Sunday) is aimed at 10mm....

Sorry lad.

IanS :(
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Dannyboy

Each to their own and understand the need for approaching the actual "on the day" models first, but interesting speculation none the less.

Orcs

I am afraid I have to agree with Ian on this.  There are lots other models that actually saw action that are still missing from the list.

However you could substitute BT7's models for the 10tp

You could make a reasonable adaptation of the 25tp by using a T28 and replacing the main turret with the one from the A30 Challenger (code BRV11). Leon is very helpful if you want odd things  like this. Custom order cost a little bit more due to their fiddly nature , but he will normally accommodate

and then make up your stats using the stats by cross referencing in the in the army list.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

sultanbev

I have full 1940 Polish lists in the MicroMark collection, based on actual Polish sources, so no need for speculation, eg:
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/91973/P25X-Polish-hypothetical-Motorised-Brigade-1940-East-Europe?cPath=5776_5962
see also P24X, P26X, P29X.

For mid 1940 the 9-TP aka 7-TP Improved was to be the standard battletank, with 100 on order, and 12 actually converted in Sept 1939. This is pretty much identical to the 7-TP but with 10mm more armour.

For 1941 they would have seen the 11-TP which was an uparmoured 7-TP with a 47mm gun of unspecified detail, 40-50mm of armour and a good turn of speed cross-country, probably equivalent to a Crusader II in stats terms.

The 25TP and other plans wouldn't have made it into production until 1942 and were armed to be armed with 75mmL40 wz22/24 Bofors according to the data file I have, which would have had a similar performance to the French 75mm. Taking on KV-3s in that would have been problematic to say the least, and even T-34/76 M42 would have been a challenge frontally, unless France was still around in 1942 and supplying APDS and HEAT ammo for the 75mm guns.

Mark

Dannyboy

Thanks for the feedback guys. as mentioned a bit of tongue in cheek speculation and an interesting what if potential. Good idea on the possible proxies though, looking through I'm wondering if the Hungarian Toldi 1 would possibly double as the 10TP, and I do like the idea of the Challenger/ T-28 combo doubling in for the 25TP. Thanks for the detailed breakdown on the Polish production prior to 42.

sultanbev

For  a 10-TP I'd be looking at a Covananter hull with a 7-TP turret, but failing that an A-13 hull, both for the 4 large road wheels. I think the Toldi would be too small.

For your 4-TP light tanks in the scout units, I'd suggest Italian L6/40 as the nearest remote equivalent.
Or splash out on Shapeways 3D printed, I'm sure some would make either of them.

Mark