Ancient Romans/Jewish Wars

Started by urbancohort, 23 April 2020, 10:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbancohort

I am not sure if this has been requested before or how much interest there might be out there in Pendraken Land but what about a range for the Jewish Rebellions against Roman rul of 66-73AD?

There are of course the lightly armed irregular "zealot" types but perhaps also more formed units of Temple Guards/Police to be considered?
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

I am under the impression that the bulk of the Jewish forces were light infantry in tunic with javelins or slings, with some of the former having round shields. There are a few archers also in tunic and a small handful of better armoured troops from local armies or in captured Roman armour.

The new Greek peltasts and psiloi would cover the light infantry and a mix of Marian legionaries, Eastern legionaries and Carthaginian Veterans would do for the better armoured troops.

Light infantry types from the Roman and Carthaginian ranges could probably add a bit of variation to the Jewish light infantry, if required.

Other than Beth Horon and Askalon there aren't many open battles and both of those are one sided massacres rather than battles, tbh.

If the Romans can find somewhere flat for their cavalry to operate the ill-trained, ill-equipped Jewish troops are toast.

If you are going to cover the Siege of Jerusalem you'd need some artillery from the Roman range with suitable light infantry to serve as crew.

I think the troops types needed are pretty much covered.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

24 April 2020, 03:37:55 AM #3 Last Edit: 24 April 2020, 03:40:22 AM by FierceKitty
You're forgetting that young Jewish males routinely undergo a bit of unpleasant surgery. The figures would need that too; even if they're dressed, one'll know something's not right (historically, that is).

I often wonder that there aren't more Jewish voices raised in protest at the statue of David in the Florence Academy, actually. Or maybe I'm just concentrating too much on the amazing sculpture to notice.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.