Goblins?

Started by Raider4, 23 April 2020, 10:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Looking for goblins. There's the range for Warband, but these look a bit beefier than I imagine goblins to be.

I want small & weedy for goblins, these look more like orcs. Any ideas?

Orcs

Orcs and Goblins as far as Tolkien is  concerned are the same race.

However I understand your wish to differentiate.

I seem to remember that before the Fantasy ranges were re-done for warmaster ,  Pendraken made a Goblin range that were less beefy. Suggest you drop a mail to Leon as I am sure he would be able to help more than I can
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Raider4

23 April 2020, 11:21:47 AM #2 Last Edit: 23 April 2020, 11:28:19 AM by Raider4
Quote from: Orcs on 23 April 2020, 11:07:32 AM
Orcs and Goblins as far as Tolkien is  concerned are the same race.

However I understand your wish to differentiate.

Not just me. Looking through every ruleset I have to hand - Wamaster, Sellswords & Spellsingers, 2-Hour Dungeon Crawl - they all differentiate.

There's more to fantasy, especially gaming, than just Tolkien!

Big Insect

What scale are we talking about here? 10mm?

I must admit I struggle with a lot of the Goblin and Orc sculpts (in most scales). I find most of them all very 'GW' fantasy in style. More than a bit caricaturish. 
And of course even in Tolkien the various Orc and Goblin tribes/clans are different in size and strength and colouring.

For 15mm I prefer the Alternative Armies range of Orcs, Mountain Orcs and Goblins. Which I use in my Morgoth Angbad army.
In 28mm my Orcs are the GW LotR range, as are my goblins - I have a very nice HoTT 28mm Mines of Moria army with the goblins and a Balrog (of course) and a 28mm Warband Orc army.

I don't have any 10mm Orcs ... not just yet.

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The orc range is hidden, as Leon nicely for some and you'll see how weedy the Goblins are!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

The original Orcs are very stocky.

The current goblins are fairly big compared to the historic humans. They are quite gangly though.

If we want to look further afield then Polar Fox do some very nice figures.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

I'll second Polar Fox.

Black Gate do greenlings for their Ogre Kingdoms army that might do too.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

GrumpyOldMan

fred.

Quote from: Ithoriel on 23 April 2020, 09:48:06 PM
Black Gate do greenlings for their Ogre Kingdoms army that might do too.

They do indeed, I have loads of these, so don't know why I didn't think of them :-[

If you want photos of the Greenlings with Pendraken stuff shout out.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Raider4

Thanks for the suggestions chaps. Looks like there are plenty of options out there.