Britain’s Lost Battlefields

Started by mollinary, 21 April 2020, 08:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

For anyone interested, a new series on British Battlefields starts tonight on Channel 5 Select (no 54 on my TV's list of free to view channels). The first seems to be on Bannockburn. Might be worth a look?
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Raider4

Bannockburn, eh? They going to do Flodden Field as well?

fsn

Bannockburn was there a few months ago. They had a bloomin' great statue on it.

I jest. It's a bit like the episode of "Forgotten Weapons" that covered the MG42.

I'll certainly give it a go.

Thanks.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

To be fair, there is some debate over exactly where the battlefield is and most folks, certainly those under 50, would struggle to tell an MG42 from an MG Midget :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

My friend, Dr Simon Elliot, is in the Boudicca/Watling Street one upcoming.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Heedless Horseman

Caught some of 'In Search of Bannockburn' on BBC4 Wed 13/05/20. Not bad...will have to set the timer for second part...maybe next week? It was the old '2 Men In A Trench' duo + some decent re-enactors who looked like they could do their stuff and modern graphics. Good views of the land if Bannockburn is your thing...and mentioned a, (rather avoided),  different take on the De Bohun 'challenge' which I had not heard of, (being brought up on 'Ladybird' books!)   ;)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

DaveH

Ok, so it is actually called the Quest for Bannockburn. I'll have to watch it.