Command Blunder Shooting

Started by FratmanBootcake, 18 April 2020, 04:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FratmanBootcake

Afternoon everyone

I finally got my BKC IV stuff onto the table for my first game. I'm writing in turn 2 at the minute and have already had two command blunders (my bad luck follows me to every gaming system). In the latest blunder, I rolled a 9 so the unit nearest the enemy took 2d6 hits (5+6=11, yikes!). This was a Pz IV. Do I assume that the hits are AT, AP or base it on the profile of the nearest enemy unit? E.g. it has an AT value so naturally would use that against hard targets.

I'm going to go with the profile of the nearest enemy so I can continue moving this forward  but I'd like to know for future when I start demoing the game at the local club when the world's motor starts up again.

Cheers!

Orcs

I still play BKC2 but I believe the principle is the same.  The type of nearest enemy is irrelevant,  It is just a mechanism for determining who gets hit. It does not mean they have been hit by that unit. They may have been engaged by off table artillery, a 17pdr, or anything else that is capable of doing them damage.

The hits from the blunder are standard hits on that unit. So in your case you roll to save from 11 hits and apply the number of non saved hits to that unit.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

It's 2D6 attacks, not hits, Orcs.

We ignore firing modifiers and in the example given would roll 11D6 needing 4+ to hit, assuming your PzIVs are in the open.

Then roll saves and apply unsaved hits to the target.

With a 5+ save (iirc) those PZIVs are, as we say, "on a shoogly peg" :)

Any takers for a counter proposal? Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FratmanBootcake

Ahh, so I would roll 2d6 attacks (11) and then roll those and score some hits (say 7). Then I would roll my saves for those (5+) so lets say I save three, I then have 4 unsaved hits which I assume can damage the platform. I then roll those 4 to see if the vehicle is suppressed.

Can I ask, can I fire anti-personnel weapons at a tank to suppress it?

I finished the game and the Germans scored a minor victory.

The sovietbCO blundered and then rolled a 12 on the table, and then rolled a 6, permanently losing 3CV. That basically knocked out the soviet support weapons.

Ithoriel

Quote from: FratmanBootcake on 18 April 2020, 06:54:02 PM
Ahh, so I would roll 2d6 attacks (11) and then roll those and score some hits (say 7). Then I would roll my saves for those (5+) so lets say I save three, I then have 4 unsaved hits which I assume can damage the platform. I then roll those 4 to see if the vehicle is suppressed.

Can I ask, can I fire anti-personnel weapons at a tank to suppress it?

I finished the game and the Germans scored a minor victory.

The sovietbCO blundered and then rolled a 12 on the table, and then rolled a 6, permanently losing 3CV. That basically knocked out the soviet support weapons.

First point, yes .... except that (iirc) PZIVs only have 4hits so no need to dice to see if the smoking shells of your tanks are suppressed :) BUt yes, that's the process.

Second, you can, if they have no anti-armour weapon. At least, that's how we play it.

Well done the Wehrmacht.

Never rains but it pours when I play Russians! It either goes spectacularly well or spectacularly badly. Except when I wheel out my (unpainted) Russian partisans .... then it just goes spectacularly badly :)

Lack of paint or inept generalship, what do you think? :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

sultanbev

"Lack of paint or inept generalship, what do you think? "
I havE this theory, completey unscientifically tested without peer review, that unpainted or improperely unbased soldiers do not fight at their best.  8)

paulr

And neither do newly painted units on their first outing ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

hammurabi70

Quote from: sultanbev on 18 April 2020, 08:29:09 PM
"Lack of paint or inept generalship, what do you think? "
I havE this theory, completey unscientifically tested without peer review, that unpainted or improperely unbased soldiers do not fight at their best.  8)

It is purely psychological ... but true.  :o

Orcs

Quote from: Ithoriel on 18 April 2020, 06:36:31 PM
It's 2D6 attacks, not hits, Orcs.

We ignore firing modifiers and in the example given would roll 11D6 needing 4+ to hit, assuming your PzIVs are in the open.

Then roll saves and apply unsaved hits to the target.

Yes quite correct - I was getting ahead of myself.    X_X
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson