Award of GC to NHS Rejected

Started by John Cook, 15 April 2020, 06:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cook

Just to keep you in the loop.

I received this morning, 15 April 2020, an email from the Petitions Team to say that they had reject the petition to award the GC to the NHS on the grounds that there is an earlier petition for an individual COVID-19 medal to be issued to all members of the NHS, emergency services and armed forces involved in the crisis, and that they couldn't consider two similar petitions. 

I think they have missed the point about a collective GC for the NHS but there you go.

I take the view that NHS deserves unique recognition because its staff are in danger on a constant and regular basis, in a way that none of the other emergency services are, as deaths of NHS staff from COVID-19 makes clear. 

As a result I won't be supporting the other petition because, to be honest, I wouldn't want police officers to be recognised particularly for enforcing social distancing and handing out fines.  Similarly, I don't consider the contribution of members of the armed forces necessitates a medal (except any RAMC personnel treating COVID-19 patients, or personnel driving ambulances) and I am not aware of any special contribution made by the fire service.

If you feel as I do, write to your MP or go on-line and submit a personal recommendation at: https://www.gov.uk/honours

Techno

Got the same 'mail, John.

Cheers - Phil.

jimduncanuk

I too think they have totally missed the point of the GC, totally.
My Ego forbids a signature.

hammurabi70

Zero chance of Parliament voting through a GC for everyone.  408 awards in 80 years is not going to be overridden by thousands in one go to the civilian services.  The obvious retort is to give a VC to everyone in the Armed Services who goes abroad to a conflict area.  The more effective approach would be to lobby MPs directly so that if it does get debated in the HoC many MPs will already have the ready solution of the Maltese example.

Are the people at the other end of the system amenable to receiving emails?  The organisational examples of Malta and the RUC might be flourished at them.  Evidently it is not the same but perhaps they just see it as a generic 'what should be awarded' debate.  I periodically write to my MP but have already done it twice this year so will defer the topic to later in the year irrespective of whether or not the debate is had.  It is worth subsequently raising with MPs whatever happens.

John Cook

No, indeed, hammurabi70.  My petition was for collective award, the precedent being Malta and the RUC and their families.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

They did at least point us at another petition - which I signed.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Ditto, Ian.....Hope we signed the same one !  :)

Cheers - Phil

Westmarcher

Strangely, the government link states you can only nominate individuals for awards (strange of course because of the exceptions of the Ulster Constabulary and Malta). It therefore leaves you wondering if, like hammurabi, the Petitions Office didn't grasp the point and that the only way to do so is by writing to Downing Street and/or our MP's. Without more information, I, too, find it hard to imagine how the other emergency services have put their lives on the line as much as the doctors, nurses, cleaners etc., in the NHS, many of whom have actually lost their lives. Let us also not forget Care Home staff - 25% of deaths in Scotland are in Care Homes - how should the staff there be recognised?  And then there are others like transport workers (e.g., Transport for London staff deaths) and food store staff and so on. It'll take a long time before all of those who gave exceptional service during this crisis get recognition but we've got to start somewhere.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.