Going Out - Not Going Out

Started by Ithoriel, 11 April 2020, 04:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

If you are stuck in the house, want to go out but know you shouldn't ... how about a virtual trip to Pompeii?

Please note : Spoken commentary is in Italian – To translate subtitles into your respective language, YouTube will auto-translate:

1. Turn on Closed Captions (click the CC icon).
2. Click the Settings icon (the gear).
3. On that menu, click Subtitles/CC.
4. On the next menu, select Auto-translate.
5. Scroll through the list of languages and choose the appropriate one.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Ithoriel on 11 April 2020, 04:26:00 PM
If you are stuck in the house, want to go out but know you shouldn't ... how about a virtual trip to Pompeii?

Please note : Spoken commentary is in Italian – To translate subtitles into your respective language, YouTube will auto-translate:

1. Turn on Closed Captions (click the CC icon).
2. Click the Settings icon (the gear).
3. On that menu, click Subtitles/CC.
4. On the next menu, select Auto-translate.
5. Scroll through the list of languages and choose the appropriate one.

I got to Naples once on a cruise.

Couldn't get a booking for a trip from the ship.

Bet most of the passengers who did go thought they were at a theme park.

Still, one day when I'm old and rich. (One out of two so far).

My Ego forbids a signature.

Westmarcher

11 April 2020, 06:59:39 PM #2 Last Edit: 11 April 2020, 08:35:53 PM by Westmarcher
If you ever manage to find a bargain priced trip to Sorrento*, Jim, instead of booking an organised trip to Pompeii, a cheaper option is to jump on the train at Sorrento (buy your tickets in the newsagent at the station - or was that for the bus to Amalfi?). Pompeii's only a few stops along the track. Did that the second time we were there.  

p.s. Helps to check the train times at Pompeii when going back! (we did, btw)

*usually off season.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Raider4

Yes, stuck at home, travelling by train . . .

Over the Xmas period, someone in the office put Cab Ride Norway : Trondheim - Bodø (Winter) Nordland Line on the big telly on the back wall, and it proved very hypnotic. I've now watched it twice, all 10 hours of it . . .

Over the last couple of weeks I've been travelling all over northern England, courtesy of a chap called Don Coffey. Probably not for everyone, but I'm enjoying them. At least they're a bit shorter.

Scorpio_Rocks

Whilst Pompeii is incredible, I must heartily recommend it's smaller, less well known (less crowds) and much better preserved neighbour Herculaneum.

This vid is a virtual tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXkpFnF7ovY
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

FierceKitty

And while we're at it, when Burma's cleaned its act up, don't miss Bagan. No other desolate town can match it (though the ruins at Vijayanagar and at Angkor Wat are pretty spectacular too).

Pompei has the advantage of the Capodimonte art gallery in nearby Naples, of course.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

This was a rather good idea, Mike ! :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021