What is wrong with people?

Started by Chad, 05 April 2020, 03:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad

Despite all the advice and warnings about social distancing, particularly in the current improved weather, the muppets are out!!
Do they not care about their health and that of other people? What to they not understand about the risks of contagion?

The result could well be a more sever lockdown for everyone!

😤😠😫☠️

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Which they will still ignore....

Have to say most peps locally do try and stay the 2m but in shops it's damned difficult. Grange road, apart from the queue at ASDA, was deserted yesterday.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

Our road quiet today compared to this week. Hardly seen a soul. However the ring road has been a constant source of noise from 7.00am onwards. Obviously a lot of people going out to God knows where?

Raider4

Obviously they're all following the example of the Chief Medical Officer of Scotland, who spends all of her time hectoring the general public about only making essential journeys for the four reasons given, but then zooms off to her holiday home for the last couple of weekends.

Ithoriel

"Follow my instructions, not my example"  :o >:( :( =) =) =)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Quote from: Chad on 05 April 2020, 03:12:41 PM
Do they not care about their health and that of other people? What to they not understand about the risks of contagion?

Nah.....Not going to happen to them, is it?......And bogger (sic) everyone else.

Quote from: Raider4 on 05 April 2020, 04:51:53 PM
Obviously they're all following the example of the Chief Medical Officer of Scotland, who spends all of her time hectoring the general public about only making essential journeys for the four reasons given, but then zooms off to her holiday home for the last couple of weekends.

I wonder how long she'll be keeping that particular post ? =).....You couldn't make it up. :(

Cheers - Phil

Orcs

She should be sacked, and possibly struck off the medical register. 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Westmarcher

There is no doubt, in accordance with the letter of government guidance, Ms. Calderwood is definitely in the wrong. She sets a very bad example and makes it more difficult to get the message of social distancing, etc,  across. Government guidance states that "essential travel does not include visits to second homes whether for isolation purposes or holidays. People must remain in their primary residence. Not taking these steps puts additional pressure on communities and services that are already at risk."

[Although I do wonder where "Just checking to make sure my property is secure, that there has been no break in or burst pipes, Officer" fits in with the guidance. (I am not saying she said that by the way)]

However, I must admit that I am two minds about this matter. I'm not excusing her but if I was working all the hours with all the pressure she has in her position managing this crisis and I had a city home, personally I wonder how tempting it would be for me to travel to my second home at the weekend to recharge the batteries especially as it's only an hour away.

As this topic will testify, we've seen worse behaviour and as far as I am aware, she has otherwise remained in her own household bubble and observed social distancing which, surely, must be the primary objective.  As for stepping down in the middle of this crisis, I don't think that is helpful. Afterwards? Yes, she should probably consider her position.

I could walk to the next village as part of my exercise routine but if I jump in my car to drive there on much quieter roads to start my walk (thus cutting down my potential exposure to other people by half an hour), some people start to ask, "Is that an essential journey?" When my son-in-law used to go out on his bike, he habitually covered something like 40 to 50 miles on major and minor roads. Does this mean that we should be banning cyclists because they cover a wider area than someone who only walks 3 or 4 miles and therefore more likely to create "additional pressure on communities and services that are already at risk?"

Also, interesting that Raider has felt hectored. Throughout this crisis I've never felt as if I've been subjected to loud, aggressive, bullying behaviour (see definition of 'hectored') from Calderwood or any one else for that matter. Until now, I've thought that people who have not been following guidelines, if not selfish, are basically not the sharpest tools in the box. However, could it be that others do in fact feel 'hectored' and thus resentful and uncooperative as a result? I wish I knew the answer. Stay healthy, everyone.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Raider4

Quote from: Westmarcher on 05 April 2020, 06:59:40 PM
However, I must admit that I am two minds about this matter. I'm not excusing her but if I was working all the hours with all the pressure she has in her position managing this crisis and I had a city home, personally I wonder how tempting it would be for me to travel to my second home at the weekend to recharge the batteries especially as it's only an hour away.

It's the hypocrisy that sticks in the craw. She's the one giving out the advice of "Don't do this!". And then thinks it doesn't apply to her? Not much of "we're all in this together" spirit there, is there?

Quote from: Westmarcher on 05 April 2020, 06:59:40 PM
Also, interesting that Raider has felt hectored. Throughout this crisis I've never felt as if I've been subjected to loud, aggressive, bullying behaviour (see definition of 'hectored') from Calderwood or any one else for that matter.

I meant in the spirit of "bossily telling others what to do". If that's not what hectoring means, then I've mis-used it. Sorry.

Raider4

Quote from: Raider4 on 05 April 2020, 07:13:51 PM
I meant in the spirit of "bossily telling others what to do". If that's not what hectoring means, then I've mis-used it. Sorry.

And just to clarify, there's nothing wrong with bossily telling others what to do, especially in the present climate.

As Ithoriel said, it's the "Follow my instructions, not my example" that's the problem.

GordonY

what is wrong with people, the answer is simple, "THEY'RE ASSHOLES!!

Gordoin

sunjester

Just remember 50% of the population are below average intelligence!

FierceKitty

Oh, for a eugenic plague that took that as a guideline.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Smoking gun

Ms. Calderwood is arrogant or stupid, probably both, she has lied about how many times she visited her holiday home and she should have been sacked not allowed to resign. No doubt she'll have a generous pension and another well paid job through the "old boy" network.

Regards,
Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.